Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chester's POV

I threw random clothes into an old bag, not caring what I looked like. I had one purpose of this trip and one purpose only; nothing would be a distraction.

The drive to the airport was excruciating, every second turning to hours as I sat in traffic, screaming at the drivers in front. I began doubting myself, believing everything was a sign. I was stuck in traffic- someone didn't want me to get there. People were yelling curse words at me- they knew what I had said. This carried on until I reached the airport, running through the doors and sprinting across the floor. Some people wooped and cheered as I so desperately went to find my terminal, assuming that I was going to chase someone, they couldn't have been more wrong. Because she was already gone and I wasn't sure if I would ever see Grace again.

The first flight to New York was in half an hour. I pondered and paced, sipping coffee as I waited for the announcement. It never came. Every hour a voice would blare through the room, telling me that my flight was a further hour delayed. Seven hours I had waited, I was so close to giving up. I pulled myself together- I was getting on that flight whatever it took.

It was four o'clock in the morning when our plane was finally ready. I sprinted towards it, hoping my speed would somehow effect the plane's. I sat down, my feet jiggering about. I couldn't settle- my mind racing with everything I needed to say. I wondered where Grace would be right now, probably asleep. I wondered whether she was sad or angry, whether she would even listen to anything I had to say. I closed my eyes, gripping the letter as the plane took flight, soaring into the air. This couldn't be the end; I wouldn't let it.

Grace's POV

The ladies' words had had a lasting affect on me but didn't diminish my anger. He wasn't here with me and I guess in a way that made me angry, because I learnt a long time ago that it was never good for us to be apart.

I was in New York now, laying on my hotel room bed wondering why I was alone. The way Chester's mind worked was a mystery to me, how his thoughts were suddenly so selfish. I was beginning to think that maybe there was something more to his actions, he wasn't the type of person to shout at someone when there was no need for it. I had lost all anger to tiredness and eventually gave into sleep instead of staring at my phone in hope of a call from Chester.

I couldn't sleep, as hard as I tried my mind was racing with possibilities of what tomorrow's hospital trip could encounter. I was more frightened than I had ever been before and instinctively I reached out my arm in hope of a body to hold me but once again I was reminded of the loneliness I was condemned to. No one was beside me, no one was there to wipe away the tears and I wasn't sure how long I could do this by myself.

I picked up my phone, not expecting any texts but feeling empty when the screen was blank. I found Chester on my contacts and began to text him, my fingers going wild with my guilty apologies. I read through my text, contemplating whether or not to send it. I slowly deleted every letter. I was not going to be the first one to make contact, I deserved the answers. My apology were wasted on him, my apologies were wasted on everyone because none of this was my fault. It was all Chester's.

The treatment began tomorrow and I knew that if Chester was really gone, if he never fought for me then I couldn't carry on. My hope may be destroyed tomorrow and I couldn't keep believing that something might come out of this, it wasn't healthy.

I tried to understand, tried to get into Chester's thoughts but it didn't work. I couldn't find a way through. His words kept repeating in my head, the way his voice was so harsh, the way every one of his syllables shook a pulse through my body.

"Maybe this is not what I signed up for!"

That was the one which stung the most. Signed up for, as if our relationship was some sort of contract. I began to wonder if I ever was enough for him but I tried to keep the ladies' words at the front of my mind; remembering that Chester was worth waiting for.