9. Mystic Falls

Davina's POV:

The hours seemed endless in the car. But fortunately, a big wooden sign appeared in the distance of a deserted road, surrounded by a huge forest. Once we got closer and I got to see the words carved on it, I let out a sigh of relief.

We had arrived.

"So this is Mystic Falls?"

"The one and only." he paused for a while, "I don't have the best memories from this place, since the last time I had come here they tried to kill me."

Well, that was new.

"Who?"

"The doppleganger and her little brother," from the way he spat the first word didn't seem like he was that eager to see them. "Want to go pay a visit to them, darling?"

It's not like he was giving me a choice here.

The only thing I did was nod. I had to admit though, my curiosity got the better of me. I wanted to meet those Salvatores and that girl, Elena. After all, she was the spitting image of Katherine. The girl Kol had fallen in love with.

After having parked the car, Kol gave me a small and quick 'tour' around the town, but in the end neither me nor him were in the mood for that. Sure, it was a peaceful place, but I had no interest in getting used to it. I just wanted all this to be over and soon enough.

I was surprised when we found ourselves standing before a magnificent boarding mansion. Well, it was big for just two people. Yet again, vampires apparently wanted the best of the best, right? The only house which was as luxurious as this was the one of the mayor's family; Kol showed me their mansion too and I was amazed by how new-built it looked.

The Mikealson began knocking on the door. He knocked once, twice but there was still no response. I noticed the edge of his lips twitching as he grabbed the door handle and almost smashed it with just his one fist. It was ridiculous how normal that seemed for him, smashing a door handle so effortlessly.

"If I recall correctly, vampires are the owners of this mansion. So..." he murmured to himself and turned the handle by using his supernatural strength to force the door open. The hall of the house was now visible and Kol smiled triumphantly. With confidence, he took one step in and then turned to glance at me. He signaled me with his head to follow him inside.

Perfect. Now we're breaking into people's houses. What's going to be next? Robbing a bank or something?

I reluctantly followed after him, my eyes darting around in curiosity. As expected, even the interior looked glorious. Expensive furniture, a few portraits hanging on the dark walls. I came to a stop though when I noticed picture frames neatly placed next to each other on a cabinet with photos of people I did not recognize.

I took one of the pictures that caught my attention in my hands in order to study it. It was a photograph of a young girl, with brunnette hair and brown eyes. Next to her, wrapping her into a side hug was standing a handsome man, his piercing grey-ish eyes staring back at me. Could it be...? Was he one of the Salvatores? If so, who? Damon or Stefan? And that girl... It must have been Elena, right? The girl who looked like Katherine.

If that was her, I could understand why Kol had a thing for her. She was certainly a very dazzling girl.

I carefully placed the photo down again, making my way deeper in the Salvatore territory. The red velvet carpet became my guide towards the living room, when out of nowhere Kol appeared in front of me with a frown all over his face.

"They aren't here. There's no point in staying for now. We'll come back later."

Still annoyed, Kol walked past me and out of the mansion. That was weird. Having no other choice, I sighed defeated and went after him once again.