24. The Way It Is

Davina's POV:

I felt like my heart was about to burst.

I should be calmer about this, but still I was aware I was trudging through dangerous grounds.

Through a death zone.

Klaus's room.

His room felt extremely... foreign. As if it had remained untouched for a long time now. As if no one was using it. Everything was suspiciously neat and in place, which only added more pressure and anticipation. I had to be exceptionally diligent about this.

For someone like Klaus, it would be easy to detect the smallest blunder.

Initially, my eyes fell upon his large closet. That would be a good place to start, alright. And so I began fumbling in the closet, carefully not to cause a disarray. It felt definitely weird looking through Klaus's personal stuff like that, but in that case, it had to be done.

... However, as expected, an object such as this diamond would not be in plain sight. It was nowhere to be found in there, so I had to think of another place to look at.

Where could he have possibly put it?

... Ugh, damn it.

“What are you exactly doing, sitting there, Rebekah?”

My feet instantly froze in place.

That voice.

It couldn't be– Klaus was already back?

No, no, this was not good. Certainly not good.

Panic soon settled in, my heart hectically beating in sync with the thunderous footsteps echoing from downstairs. I didn't even have the chance to look around that much!

This was a disaster.

I lightly pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to keep myself from panting erratically. I had to calm down.

And more importantly, I had to hide.

Nik, you're already back?”

Oh, of course. Rebekah could buy me at least some time in order to find a place to hide. Were I to be spotted, it would be a game over for me.

But first, I had to make my presence there disappear.

Placing two of my fingers against my wrist, I briefly began muttering a chant that could ensure that my aura and scent in the room could not be detected by any vampire. I knew all too well about their heightened senses, so I could not risk to blow my cover.

Okay. This should do the trick.

“Oh, yes, but only briefly. You see, there's been some commotion in the Quarter the past few times among the werewolves about the rings. You see, we might have kept Davina Claire alive, but her being unconscious for days had weakened the power of the rings.”

“Ugh, those bloody dogs always find something to nag about. No offense, Nik.”

While those two were occupied by engaging in a conversation, I found the opportunity to crouch down and crawl under the bed, managing to fit myself in the tight and small space. But my movement there made all these particles tickle my nostrils, so I had to close both mouth and nose to keep me from sneezing.

“Anyway, have you seen Kol, sister? I want him to come with me, since Elijah is nowhere to be found, again. Fin is out of reach lately, too.”