29. A Gamble Worth The Risk

Kol's POV:

“Darling, I'm genuinely concerned and positively surprised.”

“... About what?”

“You've been smiling ever since we left that town. It's abnormal for someone as pessimistic as you.”

“What are you talking about? I'm not a pessimist,” she frowned in an instant as she threw a glance at me, “And besides, I feel like I finally closed permanently a chapter in my life. Something I should have down a while ago. So yes, now I'm feeling alright.”

“Is that why you've been smiling on your own like a creeper?”

She didn't seem to mind my teasing at that moment and it felt normal to go back to our little arguements. She would frown and I would comment on that. It almost felt like nothing had changed with her at all.

Frankly, I gladly accepted her positive reaction after finding her family's grave. She didn't even want to talk about it and never brought it up even once throughout our little trip.

Keep on bothering me and I'll change my mind about the bar.”

“The bar?”

She smirked, a smug look written all over her face, “I thought it would be nice to have a drink before returning back, since I initially thought it would take me more time to actually learn about my parents.”

"My my, Davina Claire. Am I responsible for turning you into a compulsive alcoholic drunkard?”

She rolled her eyes, “I was thinking of having a coffee actually, but now that you've mentioned it...”

I smiled and leaned back in my seat.

“Then I'll happily take credit for being a bad influence on you.”

She light-heartedly laughed. There she was. My little witch. She looked absolutely stunning with her hair blowing in the wind, the sun glasses over her eyes and that faint smile, a remnant of her previous laugh. This trip was worth it, after all. If it was my way of redemption for what I said and did, then I would firmly admit that I managed to break through the walls she had so meticulously built up around her at the start of our trip.

And if I had just to fool around to make sure I distracted her mind from unpleasant thoughts, then I would keep doing that too, as long as I would have the opportunity to see that smile more often.

I might have brought part of the pain upon her these last couple of days, but I did hope I would be capable of healing and restoring the part I had damaged.

For her, the consequences wouldn't matter.

Not anymore.

~ • ~

Davina's POV:

I had almost forgotten how it was to be drinking with Kol again.

The rest of our afternoon was wasted in that small bar in the next town we happened to find, talking about everything and anything. For Kol, me suggesting to drink might have seemed like a bold change or a sudden desire, but the truth behind it was rather simple actually.

I just wanted to wash away the bittersweet sadness with the efficient help of the alcohol.

Strangely enough, I found myself eager to spend more time with him, to talk with him. It brought back memories of our last adventure together in another town, how we danced, how we fought, how we drank to our heart's content.