31. Brother-To-Brother

Davina's POV:

The next morning, the first thing I noticed when I opened my eyes was the lack of Kol's presence beside me.

I frowned a bit but, knowing that he kept his promise from last night, it was enough to put a smile on my face again this early in the morning. I buried my face under the covers, perhaps a bit afraid that someone might see my red face. After so long, it finally felt like a good day to start.

“Oh my god, it does stink Kol everywhere in here. I can smell him to an overbearing extent.”

Being drowsy no more, I sat up and flopped the covers. Stunned by the sound of the voice, I refrained from showing too much of astonishment, but indicated my confusion blatantly.

“Rebekah? What are you doing this early in the morning here?”

Rebekah, with folded arms, walked in the room without any resistance, her eyes curiously darting around the attic. She didn't seem fazed by my reaction or the fact that she had come here out of the blue, at this hour.

“Just had to check where my brother slept last night,” she nonchalantly replied, “Marcel told us you two would be coming from a trip together. It was weird to hear that, but, I can't say I'm surprised to see that he ended up here with you.”

Finally, her gaze rested upon me. I furrowed my eyebrows, staring back at her quizzically. She had this unidentifiable glimmer in her eyes, a bit sly and cheeky. She stood for a while like that and then suddenly grinned, focusing her gaze elsewhere as she sighed in defeat.

“I don't even want to know what happened last night here, but–”

“What? Nothing happened, Kol just–”

“Davina.”

I paused. There we went again and shared a common look, hers a bit more softened and approachable than the one from before.

“I'm just glad that you two ended up together. It's enough for me to know that my reckless brother is happy and that you are too. But if he starts treating you unwell, tell me immediately. I'll take care of him.”

That was one hell of a morning to have, alright.

Chuckling awkwardly, I shook my head, “It's fine, Rebekah. Thank you for understanding, though. But, anyway, why are you really here? It can't be just for Kol, right?”

She sighed and then abruptly, cracked a bright smile. With wide open arms, she motioned for me to come in or a hug. I stood confused, not sure what was going on.

“Of course. Happy birthday, love! Now come here for a celebration hug.”

Feeling a bit lost, I returned the smile and indeed wrapped my arms around her. Rebekah squeezed me as she let out a happy squeal and patter my back. It really did feel for a second there as if I was hugging an older sister or a very dear person to me. Then again, Rebekah had become a shoulder for me to lean on me she had always been there to listen to me.

With those thoughts, my smile widened even more. I pulled back, yet we were both sharing the excitement on our faces.

“Wait, how did you know today is my birthday?”

“Marcel told me and also we both agreed to throw you a birthday party. It's a very important occasion, after all.”

It was bewildering hearing all this information at once, I slowed her down, “Wait wait, a birthday party? I don't really like the idea of it, Rebekah. Parties are a bit–”

Davina, listen to me,” placing her hands on my shoulders, “You won't have to worry about a thing. I'll be taking care of organising it, even Kol agreed to assist me. You won't ruin that amazing cooperation, will you?”