17. Shadows From The Past

Klaus wore his callous grin and with a devilish glow in his eyes snatched the enchanted rings, studying them carefully before slipping them into his pockets.

"That spell almost kill her," said Marcel behind gritted teeth.

"I never once said it would be a pretty sight," smirked the hybrid.

"One day. She will stay here one more day. Then she will return," said Marcel and rushed out of the house.

~ • ~

Davina's POV:

When my head touched the pillow the day before right after the spell, I was already off to dreamland.

The next morning, I was awake earlier than expected.

So, grabbing this opportunity to be productive or the day, I decided to begin something I had left undone a couple of days ago.

I would go the witch who gave me my book in order to get those vital answers.

These early hours would also help me go by unnoticed, so there would be no problem me sneaking out without being spotted. It wasn't that I was afraid of the Mikealsons, but the fact that I wanted to avoid unnecessary questions about a personal matter.

And yes, Kol didn't need to have knowledge of my whereabouts all the time.

I had to trust my long-term memory to find my way back to that shop. Fortunately, it did not fail me. Come to think of it, all these days strolling around the city, I had managed to navigate a bit in the streets of New Orleans, but still I was not confident enough to go exploring just yet.

Luckily, it did not take me more than ten minutes to find the shop. To my surprise, it was open, something which I could not explain why. I mean, why would a witch shop have to open that early? For the sole purpose of the camouflage?

I pushed the door, the little bell above it jiggling cheerfully. I didn't even have the time to move my gaze when a voice called my name first.

"Davina Claire, what brings you here this early hour of the day?"

It was the same old lady, with the same quizzical eyes confidently looking at me. I was relieved to see her here instead of someone else and, I had to admit, I was afraid that I wouldn't find her for some peculiar reason.

"I need some help. Or answers, to be specific."

She cocked a sharp eyebrow at me.

"Answers? To what?"

"My headaches," I sighed and approached her hastily, "I was wondering if you knew a way to get rid of them, or somehow sustain them."

Her reaction to my request caught me off guard.

The woman glanced outside the store suspiciously, as if waiting for someone to pop up any minutr now.

"Um, is something wrong?"

"I am just surprised Kol Mikealson isn't following you," she truthfully answered, her straightforwardness astounding me, "Last time, he seemed quite fond of you."

I didn't answer. Instead I lowered my gaze a bit in order to avoid her judgemental stare. Obviously she did not encourage my friendship with an Original vampire. Just like Kol had said.

"As for your problem now, I'm afraid I'm not the person who can help you."

Disappointment was written all over my face that moment.