21. Always After You

Davina's POV:

Calm down. It's fine. Everything is fine.

The moment I stepped out of the bathroom, I jumped in fright when I saw Josh standing room right outside the door, a very concerned look on his face.

"Davina! Oh my god, you're okay?"

"Yeah," I cleared my throat one more time, "It was just, um, just something stuck in my throat."

"Are you sure? I heard you-"

"Don't worry, Josh, really, I'm alright-"

The annoying ringtone of the phone and the vibrations it sent through the table made both of our heads turn to the left.

"Oh, right. It's probably him, he hasn't stopped calling ever since you ran inside the bathroom."

He kept calling me?

"Hey."

"... Darling! Bloody finally you answered. What happened there? And who was that person with you?"

I eyed at Josh and he turned away sheepishly. I knew he could hear my conversation with Kol and I was relieved to see him nodding and walking silently put of the room. Not that a thin piece of wood would actually stop him from eavesdropping, but still. The gesture was well appreciated.

"It's nothing, just an itchy feeling in my throat. All is well now."

There was a nervous silence on the other end of the line and I couldn't help but wonder why.

"Kol?"

"Love, I need to talk to you like I said. Immediately. Can you meet up with me right now?"

The fact that he sounded so eager, and not in a good way, made me feel slightly anxious.

"Yes."

"Good. I will send you where you will come to find me."

And before I could answer, he ended the phone call right there and then. What was up with him?

"Davina? Will you be alright?"

It was Josh again. He hesitantly opened the door with a guilty expression on his face. He knew that I was aware of his inhuman hearing skills and that was obvious.

"Yes, Josh. Thank you for everything."

"But I didn't really do anything-"

"Trust me," I smiled, "You did. Just by being here."

~ • ~

Kol's POV:

I was losing my temper more and more often lately.

And my ability to hide it, too.

My nervousness hadn't slipped by the bartender's keen eyes, who kept on glancing me suspiciously and my frantic tapping on the bar.

But hell, I was too bothered by my own thoughts to tell that man off.

Waiting for the little witch seemed like an eternity in those minutes I sat alone in the bar. It was as if her delay was happening on purpose just to intensify my already oversized paranoia, feeding on every tiny source of doubt. I did not encourage this type of behaviour, since usually I never had to get anxious over something of importance. But lately, Davina Claire had become herself that source of something.

She had all kinds of effects on me and she had no bloody idea about it.

"Hey."

Speaking of the Devil.