30. Torture You Until You Break

Kol's POV:

“How much longer?” I heard her voice from the passenger's seat as the little witch let out a yawn.

“Just a few miles away.”

“I'm tired,” she yawned again.

“No, you're pouting.”

I noticed her with the corner of my eye rolling her eyes. Then, Davina stretched out in her seat and proceeded in placing her head on my shoulder. It was quite an uncomfortable position for her, but not for me.

I smirked.

“Seems like you're not really sleepy, love.”

“Don't talk, Kol, I'm trying to sleep.”

I chuckled, “An average human, while in the process of sleeping, has regular heart rate and their breathing becomes slower. Your heart' beating, on the other hand, Davina, sounds quite irregular. It's faster. Are you actually feeling more nervous than sleepy to be near me like that?”

Huffing, the little witch pushed herself up and leaned against her window, “What a smartass,” she muttered.

“Am I right though?”

“No. Just full of yourself.”

I smirked. That would do.

The sun had just made its grand appearance on the sky when we finally arrived in New Orleans. The streets were less busy during that time of the day, perhaps due to yesterday's fatigue. Either way, the first sun rays barely touched the old Saint Anne's church, the place where we both headed to. Despite Davina's consistent efforts to send me away, I told her I would accompany her back to her attic, whether she liked it or not.

“Home sweet home,” Davina heavily exhaled and collapsed on the bed once we found ourselves back in the attic.

I looked around again, checking if anything was touched or if someone had been there while the little witch was absent. No trace of a living soul.

I glanced over at Davina, who was still lying flat on her bed with eyes closed and a faint smile.

“I suppose my job here is done.”

“Wait.”

With an eager tone in her voice, the little witch sat up. I was taken aback at first, but in a good way.

“Don't leave me alone. Not tonight.”

“Darling, it's dawn.”

“No, I mean– I don't want to be alone because...”

I leaned against the wall, waiting for her to finish.

“... Because I don't want to have thoughts.”

“Oh, so you want me to distract you?”

After thinking about it, she eventually gave me a nod.

“Basically, yeah.”

Davina's POV:

“Well, that's easy.”

In the next second, Kol was suddenly hovering over me as he pushed me back on the mattress, falling flat behind. He was supporting himself on his elbows as he watched my eyes moving rapidly around to study his. Suddenly, all drowsiness had been washed away.

“Should I suggest some distracting methods, love?”

I cracked a smile, trying to wiggle around and get him roll to the side. It didn't work.