18. Heartbroken

Kol's POV:

I couldn't really say I remember much when I returned home.

I would mostly try to do anything here and there, wander around aimlessly and think of whatever in order to occupy my thoughts in any kind of way.

Anything but Davina Claire.

And before I knew it, it was morning again.

I hadn't realised that time flew by faster than it usually did, but it definitely felt weird. There was dead silence in the mansion this early in the morning and not because the others were sleeping. But probably because they weren't even there.

I trudged through the corridor, my feet coming to a stop as I passed by one of the guestrooms. Davina.

Had she returned from the cemetery last night?

A part of me was tempted. Tempted to knock on her door, to check if she was there. But I didn't. Because ego always won me over and the last night's events kept bothering me. Lately, Davina had been the center of all of my thoughts and I just couldn't deal with whatever reaction seeing her would cause.

So, I just decided to distance myself a bit for now. And if she was indeed on the other side of that door, I didn't want to know.

Davina's POV:

I didn't get much sleep, to be honest.

There were just too many things to process, too many things to think about.

Samantha, that girl, was quite... different. A peculiar personality, that is. And after Kol had left –or to be more precise, disappeared– she warmed up to me, tried to start a conversation as if nothing had happened. Surprisingly, it worked. I somehow managed to distract myself from overthinking this again and again and for once, I felt refreshed that I wouldn't let my thoughts and contradicted feelings bring me down on me more.

And I could thank Samantha for that.

And so, with a promise to meet up again the next day, I left.

And with that single thought in mind, I believed I was safe from Kol's image when I got back to the mansion.

But I wasn't.

And all night, I would wake up at times just because I would hear imaginary footsteps outside of my door, walking up and down the hallway.

When I came out of the room the next morning, I was received to see that I was all alone. Not even downstairs, where you would usually find Elijah and Klaus talking, or Rebekah just sitting there, was a living soul. Well. The irony.

But then, just when I was convinced that I was alone, I heard murmurs. This time from upstairs. Walking slowly up again, I turned around the corner where I thought was the source of the unrecognisable murmurs. Or at least, that's what they sounded like from faraway.

It didn't take me long enough to realize they came from the second living room I had found myself during the ball. Tiptoeing as lightly as possible, I brought my ear closer to the door but, as I was about to concentrate on the voices, the doors slid open and re eales a smiling Rebekah.

"Good morning, Davina."

Of course they had heard me coming.

Glancing over her shoulder in the room, I noticed a second figure sitting in the armchair, a person I had only met once.

"Good morning Rebekah, Finn."

She just smiled at me once more and took a step to the side, inviting to sit with them. When I plopped myself down on the couch, it felt a bit strange sitting with the two of them, especially with Finn.