Ch. 7: Anti-climax

Start from the beginning

"Okay, that wasn't funny. But Hank wondered if he did something wrong."

"And now I'm wondering if I did something wrong, too. Mia? Are you there?"

"He's asking if we liked the concert."

Gabby and I looked at each other dead-panned.

"Duh. The only thing better would be to have a threesome with Michael himself."

"I can't say that to him!" I hushed, like if he could hear us.

"What? He'll get jealous?" she shrugged. "I mean, if he behaves, he can watch."

"Gabby!" I scolded, and cursed the fact that I was blushing already before the clock hit 9am. Then I started texting.

"My idiot friend here distracted me. Sorry."

I sent him a couple of embarrassed emojis and a crying face, before I continued.

"We LOVED the concert! And you did absolutely nothing wrong, Al. Although I'd still prefer to call you Jake."

Gabby pulled at my arm, but I shoved her away and mumbled something really brief about what I was typing.

"About the limo... We kinda expected to get kidnapped the luxurious way. Gabby's idea, not mine. So... God, this sounds stupid now, but we refused to die until after the concert was done. And now that it is, I don't care if I have a target on my head."

A new reply came right after I pushed send, and the letters flashed up my screen.

"Glad you liked it, babe. 😉"

"What? He's calling you 'babe' now?" Gabby squealed into my ear, causing me to let out a little scream in terror.

"He's totally your boyfriend!"

"Right," I dragged unamused. "Can we just...?"

I shut my lips with an invisible lock and threw away an imaginary key, which of course Gabby pretended to catch, to unlock hers.

"I'm not your babe, Jake. And this is kind of a giant anti-climax. So if you're going to kidnap us, go right ahead. We won't even fight you."

"Awe. Not even a pillow fight? That's every guy's wet dream, you know. Two girls with pillows only. No clothes. 😏😏😏"

He didn't have to include the emojis to let me know that he was smirking.

"And about a potential abduction... As tempting as that sounds, I don't think you'd be able to handle two concerts in a row."

Then he added a quick comment.

"Although I wouldn't mind if you came over to demonstrate said pillow fight. 🥵"

I snorted out loud and showed the message to Gabby.

"Perv," I muttered, but Gabby just laughed.

"Girl, he's talking about another concert! Keep your focus straight."

"You're joking, right?"

"Maybe?"

Then he added another one:

"Or maybe not?"

I chose to ignore it, and decided to show some gratitude instead.

"Thanks, Jake. You're literally the best for making my dream come true. I'm forever grateful. 💖"