First Day On the Job

You eyed the sign hanging above the building. It read "Circus Baby's Pizza World" with an image of a clown girl's smiling face. You reckoned it was supposed to be cute and welcoming, but you couldn't help but think that there was something more under that smile.

You shook your head. You need to focus; it's your first day on the job here! You don't want to be late and already lose it. You brought your focus down to the double doors of the pizzeria. You sighed, gathering your courage, and walked in. 

Once you entered, you were overwhelmed by the amount of noise and movement there was. You've never worked a dayshift at a busy place like this before, so you were surprised by the amount of chatter, kids running around, and the movement of the normally sleeping animatronics (not that the ones at your last job were sleeping). You frowned at the imagery of the last one; the animatronics were actually moving. And not in the friendly stay on stage way, rather they were roaming around and entertaining the kids. Sure, you've seen enough of moldy old animatronics walking around at your last gig, but not with kids around! You clenched your fists, nervous that one of the animatronics would hurt someone. You wished Scott was here.

Before you could hyperventilate any further, you felt a hand on your shoulder. You gasped, prepared to use your fight or flight response. Prepared to punch one of those shiny clowns in the face, you whipped your head to whatever was behind you.

"Uh, hi there!" You were greeted by a young employee, probably a teen, wearing the dayshift attire consisting of ugly khaki shorts and a pink polo.

Embarrassed, you let your hand fall to the side. Great, you almost punched your coworker on your first day! You know it's going to be a long day. You let out a breath you didn't know you were holding in and put on the best smile you could muster, although uneasy. You responded, your voice cracking, "Hello! Um, I'm new here-"

"Yes, you are! I haven't seen you here before!" He quickly shook your hand, grinning.

"Uh, yea-"

Again, he interrupted you before you could respond, "Well, I'm Timothy! But my friends call me 'Tim'! You are?"

Well, he's hyperactive. Probably from always being around candy and cake and stuff from all these birthday parties... You gawked for a second, waiting for him to interrupt you again. You began again, the coast seemingly clear, "I'm-"

"Right, right! I should've known!" He laughed, "Silly Tim! Anyway, you need your uniform! Follow me!"

You rolled your eyes, already worn out. Despite this, you followed him to an employee's only room. You entered, eyeing the many lockers laid out in front of you. 

After only taking a breather for a second, Timothy thrust upon you the uniform and nearly shouted, "Just put this on in the bathroom and go to the prize counter when you're done!" He paused for a second before leaving, yelling on the way out, "Nisha's shift is almost over, so you better hurry up!"

You raised an eyebrow. He was strange. Also, who's Nisha?? You guessed she works at the prize counter, at least for today, until you take over her shift. You shrugged and made your way to the restroom inside this backroom. You figured you better take Timothy's advice and hurry.