Episode 4 Part 3: Conversations

Silently Sidney led his horse and it's two riders into town, his mind still on the words he had exchanged with Otis and Charlotte. When they had last parted, Charlotte expressed a desire for them to be friends, yet her words about him demonstrated that she continued to mistrust and doubt him. He knew he had done little to commend himself to her, but he had at least thought they had reached some sort of understanding that they would each try to do better, him especially. It saddened him that she still thought of him in that way, but perhaps he had never truly appreciated the pain she was going through. The truth was, that he was so monumentally out of his depth. Sidney didn't know how to be a good guardian to a young woman who challenged his every move and resented the fact he had power and control over her life; who missed her father and was looking for something or someone to fill the void he had left; who was trying to make sense of the new world he was trying to introduce her to; and who despite his best efforts to suppress it seemed to stir something inside him which was completely inappropriate.

God he was bad at this! So hopelessly bad at this and so he intended to deal with it in the only way he knew how: drink, of which he needed several and hopefully that would numb the feelings and get rid of the thoughts spiralling in his head. Sidney didn't want to think about Charlotte and he didn't want to care what she thought of him. She was his ward. All he owed to her was to keep her safe, introduce her to society and manage her fortune for the next 18 months before she was able to manage it herself, which she was more than capable of. If she didn't care for him, what did it matter? She would be rid of him soon and he of her and this temporary arrangement between them would become a distant memory to them both... Yet as he was thinking this, he knew he was being a fool because if he was honest with himself, he had to admit that he did care for her and he wanted her to be happy. God this was impossible! He felt so conflicted. Yes drink, is what he needed. Perhaps he could persuade Mr Lambe to join him at the Crown, for no doubt he would need a drink or two also once he found out what his daughter had been up to...

As predicted Mr Lambe was horrified by Georgiana's behaviour. There was a fierce confrontation between them with Georgiana ending up in tears and being sent to her room. The fate of Georgiana's maid, Crocket, still lay in the balance, but as she was acting on Georgiana's orders, he did not think Mr Lambe would dismiss her. Mr Lambe was all too keen to escape the house afterwards, and therefore Sidney invited him to the Crown for lunch and drinks.

"I have to say, Parker, if I had anticipated that this is what would happen on our visit to England, I would never have brought Georgiana with me. She has always been stubborn and demanding, but ever since she met that wretched man in London she seems determined to disobey me. She fancies herself in love, but she is so young. What does she know of love? And her choice of gentleman, well let's just say it is out of the question!"

"Yes, he certainly seems to be rather a scoundrel with little concern for Miss Lambe's reputation." Said Sidney.

"You don't know the half of it." Mr Lambe said and Sidney raised his eyebrows at him. Mr Lambe sighed heavily before continuing. "Once I found out about the blossoming romance between them, I did some digging into Mr Molyneux. Turns out he is an inveterate gambler who has run up debts with half the gambling houses in London. It is clear that he is just after Georgiana for her substantial dowry to feed his gambling habit. I will not have a man like that take advantage of my daughter."

"This is shocking indeed. How were they able to meet anyhow?" Asked Sidney.

"I am not entirely certain, but I believe it was at some ball or another. Georgiana thinks I object to him as a suitor because he has no fortune."

"Well, that is something to take into account surely? Is it not a father's duty to ensure his daughter will be adequately provided for?" Sidney replied.