Episode 3 Part 4 - Admiral Heywood

Mary was sat at the dinner table with only herself for company. The children had eaten in the school room with the nanny; Tom had refused to leave his study, claiming he wasn't hungry; and Sidney... well, who knew where Sidney had gone to? There had obviously been some sort of disagreement between the brothers for why else would Sidney have left the house so abruptly? Tempers were running high after the doctor's disastrous demonstration at Sanditon House. Tom was clearly very upset about the whole thing, and no wonder, for Lady Denham was hostile towards the idea of a physician in Sanditon even before the demonstration. There was no doubt that she would be fully against the idea now. Hopefully after allowing some space between them, the brothers would make peace with each other.

Sidney had said he would be back for dinner and Mary had waited for a while, but as she had no idea when he would return, she decided to eat without him. It was rather lonely eating on her own, but she was getting rather used to it now. Tom was often back late as he was dealing with business of one form of another. Whilst she wanted to support him as much as she could, Mary couldn't help but feel that her husband had two wives at times, her and Sanditon and sometimes she wasn't sure which one he put first...

As Mary was eating dessert, the door to the dining room opened... and Sidney walked in.

"Sidney!" Mary said, relieved to see him.

"Mary, forgive me for my tardiness. I was delayed due to there being an accident at the site." Sidney said as he sat down next to her.

Mary's eyes widened. "An accident? Was anybody hurt?"

"Yes... Mr Stringer."

"The foreman?"

"No, his father. He fell off a ladder and broke his leg. It was a serious injury, but with Charlotte's quick thinking and Dr Fuchs' expertise, the leg was saved."

"Charlotte was at the site?"

"Yes. I have no idea how she knew what to do, but she was certainly very capable. We took Mr Stringer to Mr Lambe's house and Charlotte and I stayed to help Dr Fuchs set the leg."

"Good gracious Sidney! That is quite the drama."

"Yes indeed. But the doctor was very hopeful that Mr Stringer would make a full recovery in time."

"I am glad to hear it." Mary said as the servant placed a plate of food in front of Sidney.

"Where's Tom?" Sidney asked as he was about to tuck in, suddenly realising his brother was missing from the table.

Mary shifted awkwardly in her seat. "In his study. He didn't want dinner."

Sidney sighed exasperatedly. "I will go to him after I've had something to eat." He said.

"He was most upset about what happened at Sanditon House today."

"Yes, I know, but I have a feeling we will be able to persuade Lady Denham to reconsider now that the doctor has proven himself competent."

"I hope so, for I have not seen Tom in quite such a state for some time." Mary replied.

Sidney looked at Mary curiously. She looked worried, and tired. "All will be well Mary, I am sure." Mary smiled at him unconvincingly in response.

After dinner, Sidney went to see Tom and told him about the accident and Dr Fuchs' usefulness and his demeanour instantly changed.

"Why Sidney... this is excellent! Lady Denham can hardly refuse Dr Fuchs now he has proven himself so proficient." He said, the light returning to his eyes.

"No. I quite agree."

"We must go and see her." Tom said, heading for the door.

"Tom, it is late. We cannot go now. We'll go tomorrow morning."