Episode 3 Part 2 - The doctor's demonstration

Sidney was nervous as he went to Mrs Griffiths' house later that afternoon and it annoyed him. He was already regretting his decision to stay another day in Sanditon and the fact Charlotte had persuaded him to stay made it all the more irritating. However, the truth was that Charlotte had so far asked very little of him, and he felt compelled by his duty as her guardian to consent to her request... or at least that is what he told himself, for he was trying to bury the truth of his feelings about it.

Charlotte was sat at the table when Sidney entered the parlour, with parchment and a quill in front of her ready to take notes. Despite his misgivings about staying for another day, he couldn't help but smile at the scene for it rather impressed him that she was taking this so seriously.

"I see you have come prepared, Miss Heywood." Said Sidney as he put his satchel on the table.

"As have you." Charlotte replied as she sat up stiffly as if preparing herself for battle.

His smiled faded. "Well, this is a business meeting, is it not?" He replied rather more firmly than he intended for her reaction to his presence put him on the defensive.

"Yes it is. I have ordered tea for us... unless you would prefer something else to drink?"

"Tea is fine, thank you." Said Sidney. Charlotte got up and poured them both a cup and sat back down at the table. "Thank you." He repeated. "So... where would you like to start Miss Heywood?" He asked, for seeing as she had requested the meeting, he wanted to let her lead it.

"I would like to know what has been agreed about the terms of my stay here... please." Charlotte said, adding the please to try and be more conciliatory.

"Miss Heywood, as I have said before, you know that the rules myself and Mrs Griffiths have put in place are because we have your best interests at heart." Sidney replied.

"I fear that you and I have very different ideas of what is in my best interests, Mr Parker, which is why I am most interested to know what has been agreed between you and Mrs Griffiths." Said Charlotte, more confrontationally.

Sidney paused before he replied, because he was distracted by the little frown she made when she was trying to be resolute and he found it rather endearing. He shook himself out if it his thoughts. "I have not discussed anything different with Mrs Griffiths regarding the terms of your stay, for I trust her to set those conditions."

"But Mrs Griffiths' conditions do not suit me at all. She insists on me being accompanied everywhere and therefore dictates when I can or cannot leave the house. I am starting to make friends of my own, but her rules make it hard for me to see them. I need some space from this house and from other people. I understand your concerns after what happened in London, but, with all due respect Mr Parker, I do not see how I might be in danger by walking unaccompanied to a friend's house, or even to Sanditon House which is little more than a mile away. I walked for miles around Willingden when I resided there and my father had no concerns at all. I miss the exercise. I am not made to be indoors all the time." She paused to come up for breath, for she was so anxious that she said the first part rather quickly. "The truth is that the time I was able to have to myself yesterday on the beach before... before our meeting at the coves was... well, it was wonderful... and... and I very much hope you will consider... relaxing some of Mrs Griffiths' conditions."

Sidney looked at Charlotte with intrigue. Whilst she could plead a good case, she hadn't set out exactly what she wanted. "Very well, Miss Heywood, as you wish to negotiate the terms of your stay here, what are your counter proposals in this regard?" He asked.

Charlotte took a deep breath. "I want to have permission to leave this house unaccompanied from time to time. I think it reasonable to be allowed to visit my friends in town and to go to Sanditon House to play Lady Denham's piano forte and also a daily walk along the beach."