Episode 8 Part 1 - That is not all

EPISODE EIGHT

Charlotte had to read the letter more than once to take in what it said, not least because the tears streaming down her cheeks made it difficult to read it. First, she was angry. Angry that her father had concealed his illness from her, even if she understood the reasons why. Then there was bewilderment that her father had predicted an attachment between her and Sidney, had encouraged it even by appointing Sidney as her guardian. It would not have made sense if she had known this months ago, but now it was crystal clear. Oh her dear, dear Papa! Despite the fact he had angered her, she both loved and missed him in this moment, for it made her realise how much he had wanted to ensure she was not only provided for, but happy! The tears continued flowing, but they were not solely tears of sadness, but also of joy as she took in what this meant and a smile started to spread across her face. For the first time ever Charlotte felt a glimmer of hope that what she considered impossible may actually be possible, because wouldn't the fact her father had orchestrated her marriage to Sidney soften the potential scandal?

Sidney's declaration also rang in Charlotte's ears. He was his best self, his truest self with her. Just recalling those words made her giddy, for it was truly the most perfect declaration of love. And surely Sidney's question about fate in the rowing boat was referring to her father giving fate a helping hand? Could it be that Sidney loved her as much as she loved him? She recalled his words again and found her heart was pounding. 'That is all' he had said. How could he end his declaration in such a way? That was most definitely not all! Charlotte began to feel her temper rising as it so often did when it came to him. How could Sidney leave her after delivering such a speech? And surely his own letter from her father had said something similar? She needed to find out for this was not the end of the conversation. Charlotte wiped away her tears, folded up the letter and started running along the beach and back towards town to find him.

Sidney saw Charlotte running across the beach and his heart started hammering fast. He wasn't sure what Mr Heywood had said in his letter to her, but he had his suspicions. He didn't want Charlotte to think he had been spying on her, so he had to think quickly as to whether he should hide or pretend he was walking off somewhere. He decided on the latter for hiding felt rather foolish at his age. He started off down the street back towards the river when he was suddenly brought to an abrupt halt.

"Mr Parker! Mr Parker!" Charlotte shouted.

Sidney turned round to face her and she stopped only a yard in front of him. They were in the middle of the street and there were a few people mingling about. He didn't know what to say to her so just looked at her expectantly.

Charlotte took a step closer to him and Sidney took a sharp intake of breath. "That is all? How can that possibly be all? You cannot say something like that and then just leave! It is... it is most ungentlemanly! I cannot believe you just left me..." She said breathlessly, her chest heaving, her cheeks flushed and eyes narrowed. "And then you give me this letter and it says... but you know what it says, for yours says the same does it not?" Charlotte asked.

"I expect so, yes." Sidney replied.

"Then you know that to walk away at such a moment was... was unfeeling!"

"I thought you would have appreciated some privacy to read it. I am sorry if me walking away offended you." He said, an edge to his voice. Charlotte just glared at him as a few more tears fell down her cheek. Sidney was desperate to draw her into his arms, but they were in the middle of the street and the few passers by were staring because they were making a scene. "Perhaps you would like to accompany me for a walk, Miss Heywood?" He asked, although his voice did not sound like his own for never before had been so nervous in the presence of a woman.