Chapter 28

Russia POV
--------

Russia leaned heavily on the branch as he limped in the middle of the group. Being forgiven was weird. He had sat down with the others this morning, and they all told him about their own mistakes and things they regretted. They hadn't forgiven him right away of course, but he had limped around and helped in little ways. They were welcoming him back, not as a teammate, but as a friend. Russia couldn't ever thank them enough. But Germany had informed him and everyone else about Russia's injuries, and what it would mean in the long term.

Russia's left arm would take weeks to mend, a d even then he would never be able to ever really use it again. The most he could ever do with it would be lifting a tissue. He had to exercise it when he could again, so he wouldn't be crippled. His hip had been badly bruised, damaging his ability to walk right. He would have a limp for the rest of his life, and like his arm, he had to go in regular walks and stay active.

He had thanked Germany, helped the others pack up camp, taken the waking stick gratefully from America, then they were off. Russia was still working to earn back their trust, he understood completely and was ready to prove himself. It would take some time, but that was okay. He was just glad to have his friends again. He smiled, that wasn't something the old him would have thought. So much had changed so suddenly, like the mauling had been a switch, a wake up call.

He limped along now, smiling, talking with the others. America and Germany walked on either side of him, ready for if Russia somehow got worse.

Having America beside him felt like electricity, it gave Russia energy. Russia didn't want to admit he had a crush on America, but he admitted it. Maybe he could tell Ame how he felt when they reach the safe point,

" There's the gate," cried Pip from the front of the group," It's right up ahead."

The group picked up speed. Russia limped faster, sending waves of pain through his hip, but he didn't care. It was so close now, the safe point, the place with no monsters, no starvation, no cannibalism, no suffering.

They reached the gate an hour later. They opened the doors, wary because of the lack of guards. As soon as they all stepped through the gate, their collars made a click sound. They just...POP! Fell right off onto the ground. The beacons didn't go off like it had for South, it just stopped working.

" We did it," whispered America," We made it to the safe point, we're free."

" I'm guys," said Germany," Look, on the gate, Britain left another note."

" Oh boy," said Russia," Let's see what that asshole has to say now."