Chapter 37 Handymen & Possibilities

Evie got herself early into the office one blustery autumn morning. A gold scarf knotted around her neck. A big sapphire blue wool coat and then a cobalt wool hat yanked on her head. She had on thick black wool tights and her tan heeled calf boots on her legs. Her hair flew behind her from under the hat as she skipped briskly to the office. Not wanting to be late when they handed out her morning assignments.

She's just dashed in the bakery for a box of assorted cinnamon swirls and cherry danishes. She clutched that box to her chest, along with her autumnal spice latte. Which she's already drunk half of. She pushes open the glass door of the office and crisp golden leaves and a gust of wind tries to push on in behind her. She shuts the door with a lean of her hip.

She smiles at her colleagues as she totters over to her desk. Boots clacking on the polished walnut wood floor. She scurries behind her desk, saying good morning to Esther, Charlie, Jo, and their portly editor, Earl.

She opened the box of pastries on her desk, and booted up her computer as she shucked off her coat. Yanked her glasses on. Unwound her scarf and logged into the system. Today, she's in one of the splurge outfits Kylo spoiled her with. With her woolly tights and boots she teamed a black pinafore, on top of a silky soft white blouse. Tied at the neck with a bow. She likes to think she looks professional and hopes to keep the autumnal chill away with her new monochrome look.

She's just plonked her butt down in her wooden swivel armchair, when Earl appears before her, helping himself to a cherry danish.

"Before you take that coat off young lady. I have an assignment due for you. You better get yourself on down to the town library quick as you can..." Earl says brightly. Holding a stack of papers in one hand and the danish in the other. Littering his blue shirt front with crumbs. Muttering an "Oh darn it." As he brushed the flaky pastry away. Evie smiles and offers him across a tissue from the box on her desk.

Earl was actually a lovely editor and the friendliest, softest man she knew. He was as tubby and rounded as a teddy bear. Always combed his bouncy sweep of mousy brown hair neatly. Always wore a strictly ironed shirt with a fantastic whacky vivid bow tie. Different one for each day of the week. Today's shirt was a cloudy blue. With a shocking plum bow tie around his thick neck. His eyes were brown and ruddy, full cheeks, a plump chin, and he looked as kind as cuddly as he truly was.

"Oh?" Evie questions the nature of the assignment as she pulls back on her coat and slings her reporters lanyard around her neck. Her 'Early Bird Gazette' photo ID hung suspended in plastic down her front. She grabs her trusty notepad and black Mont Blanc ink pen. Another one of Kylo's gifts. As was the moleskine notebook she now habitually carried in her pocket too.

"They've got a whole new wing being built for the kids section." Earl promised excitedly. Her mouth dropped open in shock.

She stands and sorts out her collar. She'd had a shift at the library last week. No one had said or mentioned anything to her about a new addition. Mind, they'd been rushed off their feet. Putting their fundraiser outcomes to good use. The roof was being fixed. There was dust and debris and construction workers everywhere. Clattering. Hammering. Drilling. And she and a measly three other volunteers were bravely tackling the absolute mountain of new books they ordered with the very generous donations.

One of the other volunteers, an old lady called Betty, had asked where all this money had come from. Esther smothered a cough and looked over at Evie with a little curl of a grin. Evie dodges the look skilfully. Drawing their attention to the wonderful new penguin classics she'd ordered.

"I was there last week. No one mentioned anything about an extension to the library..." She seeks. Rounding her desk to come closer to Earl.

"The council board only just granted permission to extend. Some big outta town company lobbied for it apparently. Just pitched right up and offered." Earl tells her.