Chapter 8 Lessons & Pursuit

*Trigger warnings; violence and assault in this chapter*

He was walked along the abysmal hallway. As usual. With two guards posted at his sides. Keeping vigilant watch on him. Their steps rung heavy down the hall. Shattering and ricocheting up into the echoing dank corridor around them.

The guards spoke; but not to him. Today's thrilling monotony was last night's football game. Kylo wanted to roll his eyes in annoyance. He never understood the appeal of sports. Didn't get the attraction to it. He'd always had other interests at heart... Perhaps he just despised wasting his time. Who knows. Who cares.

The knuckle-headed guards continue to plod him along all the same. Yammering on and on about the players in the offense. What they don't realise is that they should've been paying closer attention to the very bored sociopath walking between them.

First big mistake.

Kylo purposefully tangled his foot in with the guard on his left as they walked along. Jones his name was. A big, portly, brute. Not the brightest of the bunch. Matter of fact he was dumber than a box of rocks. Henderson was on his right. He was equally as stupid too.

Kylo could've outwitted the morons in his sleep with his hands tied behind his back.

He causes them both to stumble off into the wall. The side of Kylo's hip slams into the wall to keep him upright. His body half colliding with the man's. Who didn't pay attention to where Kylo's hands went in the impact.

They went to his key belt.

Kylo straightens and quickly pockets what he'd stolen. Stumbling quickly forwards. Grunting when the other guard unsheathes his nightstick and soundly whacks Kylo upward's across his back. He hunched his shoulders over lightly and turns to give the offender that black ice glare of his.

Feeling the heat of the assault already bruise it's pain up his back. Flowering outwards it's black and blue petals onto his skin. He was used to being battered. Used to wearing evidence of it on his skin. Nestled next to his tattoos like a story.

"None of your tricks Ren. I ain't stupid." They spit at him hatefully.

Kylo turns and carries on walking. Shuffling away. Respectfully disagreeing in odes to what now sat concealed in his pocket.

He'd taken Jones' keycard. And he had taken Henderson's weeks ago. The one for the interview room was a key card. Most guards were issued with one. Which was overkill. Only one was needed. The door locked automatically after it was shut.

He timed it perfectly. The other high ranking guards he knew had keys were all on rota working the other side of the prison. It would take a while for them to get here.

He didn't need long. A few minutes at best.

Kylo had seen fit to wedge the interview room door open last time he was in there. A small piece of stone he pocketed from the yard stopping the latch from closing. Keeping the door open until he closed it.

And he was in possession of the only two keys for miles. He keeps his smirk to himself at his plot.

They all come up to the interview room.

"Huh. Doors stuck. Shitty thing probably needs replacin'." Henderson laughs dryly as he swings it open. He'd been two seconds away from reaching for his belt for the card that he wouldn't find hooked there.

"Don't need those key cards today." Jones smiles at his companion. "Just station outside the door on the chairs. Take a breather for a few. He won't be trouble He's been level these past few weeks. Probably that pretty writer keepin him in line." Jones drawls.