Chapter 37

"Are you sure you're ready for this, my son?" God's silver eyes narrowed in on grey, simmering with starlight. Grey merely squeezed my hand a little, giving a firm nod of his head.

God wore her golden robes that glittered like melted metal, shimmering in the rainbow light filtering through the stained glass above the altar. It draped elegantly off her onyx skin, flowing out behind her as she slowly walked towards us.

"You know that once this is done, it can not be undone. You are tied to her for eternity," God spoke again, her voice sharp like a warning. I had almost expected Grey to hesitate, but he didn't.

"My fate will be hers," he affirmed. Through the corner of my eyes I glanced at him, the stern expression on his angelic features. God paused, eyeing him for a moment, before turning and slowly sashaying her way back up to the altar next to Suriel.

"Then by all means, my children," she outstretched a hand, motioning to the space in front of the altar. I sucked in a shaky breath, unsure if I would experience anything like the last time God had tethered my soul. However, this time it wasn't my soul being tethered, but rather Grey's. I had no idea what I was walking into.

"Grey, as the last of the Archangels, you must understand that your duty, at least for now, must be to command my armies. Siena and Barachiel will be stationed to protect Jordan. Regardless of your soul's entanglement, I need you to look beyond yourself now. I ask this of you," God questioned Grey. I felt Grey's gaze shift to me for a moment before returning to her.

"So long as she is safe, I will command your armies," Grey bowed his head a little, a shocking sign of respect coming from him. I don't think I'd ever seen him bow his head.

"Jordan? I expect the same courtesy from you," God pushed.

"Do you mean to say you don't want me on the front lines with Grey?" I asked, taken aback. As far as I knew, my entire purpose for existing was to change the course of the war. How was I to do that from behind the lines?

"Until Thanatiel is dealt with, your survival can not be trifled with. I will not make any other requests of your battle tactics, but I ask that you abide by those rules. Stay with Siena and Barachiel until Grey has dealt with Thanatiel," she insisted. Though the word felt like acid on my tongue, I answered with what she wanted.

"Now that that is over with, let us begin," she let out a deep breath, and I could've sworn I felt every air molecule stand still, as if awaiting orders. Then, she suddenly pressed her thumb between my eyebrows, and her other thumb between Grey's. I felt a bite of pain as my knees hit the stone floor and bright white light ignite my vision.

My ears were ringing.

Why were my ears ringing?

The light was still so incessantly bright, it burned to open my eyes. Yet, I forced them open, tears blurring my vision.

I couldn't see anything. It was like I was in some weird place shrouded in mist. The air was heavy, like it were filled with smoke. I tried to shield my eyes from the light, but I couldn't discern where the light was coming from, so it made little difference.

Then, through the veil I saw a dark figure approaching me. As it got closer, I was able to see that it was God, a glowing silver rope in her hand. It sizzled with electricity, as if it were protesting.

God tilted her head slightly to the side when she looked at me. "Your soul. It's struggling to hold the wall," she spoke gently.

"I know. I can feel it," I admitted. She appeared to pause for a moment, thinking, before coming closer to me.