Chapter 26

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Grey hummed absentmindedly as he poured a dark roast into two grey ceramic mugs. He leaned over the kitchen countertop and slid one into my hands.

"Not particularly, but I feel like I have to," I mumbled back, raising the cup to my lips and taking a slow sip. Grey did the same, his gaze locked on mine as he did so.

"You don't have to do anything," he replied gingerly, but he knew as well as I did that anything involving Lucifer had to be investigated.

"He's the Prince of temptation. Of course he couldn't resist gloating, even if it did possibly provide insight into his plans. I've got no choice," I shook my head adamantly, setting the cup down on the countertop.

"Where do you wanna begin?" Grey asked, tightening his jaw a little.

"We were in a city. It was a massive city, covered in ash with huge skyscrapers. I think that might be where he is planning to attack," I explained with a deep sigh. Grey's thick brows knitted together in thought.

"Were there any landmarks you recognized?" He suggested, but I shook my head.

"I felt like maybe I had been there before, or seen it before, but it wasn't anything definitive," I mumbled back.

"I have an idea," Grey said suddenly, pulling out his phone and tapping on the screen a few times. He leaned across the countertop, a google image pulled up on the screen.

"Why are you showing me Chicago?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm gonna show you pictures of major cities and see if any of them look like that dream," he explained, turning the phone back around and pulling up a new city.

"No it's not Seattle. Or Denver. Those cities I know too well," I grumbled in frustration. He held up a picture of Los Angeles and I shook my head once again.

"It was massive skyscrapers. Like so tall I could've thought they were mountains," I described. Grey pursed his lips and pulled up the next city.

"That's it," I whispered, my lips falling open slightly as the memory of ash covered streets glazed over my vision.

"New York. That's where he's going," Grey smirked with satisfaction.

"Or it was all a trick and he's not actually going there, just trying to get us off course," I frowned. Grey shook his head.

"No, Lucifer is cunning, but he's also prideful. It would be the ultimate success in his book if he had given you a hint prior to the battle and you still lost," he replied coolly.

"Okay, but we still don't know when he's going to attack," I reminded him.

"Well whenever he decides to, we'll be waiting. I'll contact Michael and make sure he lets the other Archangels know. We can get some legions stationed out there prior to our arrival, go over some battle strategy and make sure we're all well rested before it starts," Grey explained.

"You think the battle is imminent?" I breathed out, watching Grey's cerulean eyes glass over with silver clouds of concern.

"I'm hoping we're there in time. Lucifer is many things- patient is not one of them," he sighed, dialing a number into his phone. So now Michael has a phone too? Why couldn't they have done this earlier? T-Mobile has much better response times than praying to the sky and hoping someone responds.

"Michael, Greene had a dream interrupted by Lucifer last night and we think we've deciphered the location of his attack," Grey mumbled into the phone, brows furrowed in concentration. There was some gruff response, to which Grey replied with a 'Mmhmm'.