Chapter 25

Towering dark buildings stood all around me like titans, casting shadows over the empty street I stood on. I could see grey clouds drifting overhead, kissing the tops of the skyscrapers. I stood in the middle of an intersection, the stoplights flickering on and off ominously. There was a cool breeze in the air, gently blowing down the buildings above. With it, small grey snowflakes began to cascade down from the sky. No, not snow- ash.

I felt like maybe I'd been here before, or at least seen this place before. I couldn't be sure. It was so dark and cloudy, I could hardly make out any defining features.

"I was wondering when you'd show up," a voice echoed down the street, ricocheting off the metal buildings. I spun around, squinting through the ash at the dark figure that approached me. It was a man, of that I could be sure. He walked with hardly any sway, like a soldier marching into battle.

"Who are you?" I replied cautiously, taking a slow step away from the approaching figure.

"Has it really been that long? I was sure you'd recognize me by voice alone. I have to say, I'm a little offended," he replied smoothly. Slowly, the ashes began to reveal the source of the voice. Clad in a white suit, somehow unstained by the falling ash, strode Lucifer. His platinum blonde hair was gelled into an immaculate wave, not a single hair out of place. His glimmering green eyes flickered with amusement as he saw the recognition flash in mine.

"Unfortunately, you didn't make much of an impression," I bit back, widening my stance a little to prepare for an attack. Surely he didn't come here alone. He wouldn't risk it.

"My dear, we both know you've spent every waking moment for the last 2 years thinking of me. What I was doing, planning, where I was and who I was going to target next," his lips curled into a serpentine smile.

"You think too highly of yourself," I grumbled back, watching him cautiously as he began to circle me, his stroll almost nonchalant.

"I'm the King of Hell. I hardly think that's possible," he replied with a chuckle. "Do you know where we are?"

"Maybe," I hissed, following his every movement.

"Tsk tsk, you can be honest. If you don't know, I might even tell you," he added with a wink, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his pants. He was just as lean and tall as I remembered, just as unassuming. It was almost shameful how pristine he appeared. How could someone who appeared so light and good be the king of all evil?

"Why does it matter where we are?" I snapped back. He paused, turning on his heel to face me directly.

"I never said it mattered," he said with a brilliant smile.

"What do you want? You've resorted to invading my mind now? Like that will somehow give you an edge on me?" I snarled fiercely. Lucifer chuckled lightly, tilting his head slightly to the side.

"I don't need what I already have, my dear. This was merely a courtesy. I figured I could possibly persuade you by showing you the future," he shrugged.

"The future is variable. Even if you could see the future, it is only one possibility of what could happen," I retorted. Lucifer's sickening grin only grew wider, the dimples in his cheeks deepening.

"Is that what helps you sleep at night?" He asked suavely, his melodic voice almost soothing. If I wasn't entirely aware of who he was, I could've been lulled to sleep by his voice alone.

I didn't respond, merely held his intense gaze. Those eyes still glowed like leaves in sunlight, like Colorado aspens in the middle of July. I never realized how serpentine those eyes were until now.