Chapter 16

Clad in my black battle suit, I stood before God, arms folded and an eyebrow raised. I narrowed my eyes at her slightly, and her eyes widened in amusement, her holographic lips curling in a deafening smile.

"I thought she was going to be in Rome with Siena," I scowled at God.

"I changed my mind," she spoke softly, as if unperturbed by my sudden shift in attitude.

"Who is Siena going to be with?" I questioned, watching as God strolled aimlessly around the platform, the silver wisps of her gown trailing behind her like fog around the base of a mountain.

"I decided she needed some time with Zadkiel," God smirked a little.

"She hasn't spoken to him since she first saw him," I frowned. I didn't know if she would be okay with what God had planned. If I were in her shoes, I don't know if I'd be.

"She needs to speak with him. Now she'll have a reason," God replies nonchalantly, her swirling eyes flicking to me. Grey brushed his hand across my lower back in support, and I felt my heart rate slow down a bit.

"That's her choice to make," I insisted.

"My child- I understand your concern for your friend. However, Zadkiel has always been her soulmate. Like you and Grey, they must find their way back to each other. Sometimes it just takes a little encouragement. That's all I'm doing," she replied gingerly, like a mother speaking to a young child.

"What about Ravenna?" I raised an eyebrow and God flicked a lock of her silver waves over her bare shoulder.

"Ravenna will be sent to Cuba," she replied nonchalantly.

"Alone?" I shot back. She couldn't hold a station alone. She was a Demon. She'd be fighting alone against her own kind. That would be a suicide mission. If anything got out of hand, she needed someone to have her back.

God simply nodded.

"You will not send Ravenna out alone. She needs backup," I demanded sharply, clenching my jaw a little. Grey stood close behind my back, his arm brushing up against my shoulder blade.

"She will have Zerachiel in São Paulo, so if anything happens in Cuba, help is only a short flight away," God attempted to reassure me.

"No. Send Raziel with her," I shook my head defiantly and God chuckled. All of the Archangels on the platform were wide eyed and slack jawed, as if they couldn't believe some lowly mortal turned Angel had the guts to stand up to God herself.

"You dare tell me what to do?" She raised an eyebrow slowly, watching me.

"Yeah. If you're wrong, I don't have any issue telling you what to do," I shot back and heard a sharp intake of breath from Haniel and Jophiel, two of the Archangels who had unlocked my soul a few months ago.

"I was going to send Raziel to Cape Town," God insisted, her galactic eyes sparkling with the light of a thousand worlds.

"Send someone else to Cape Town. You have hundreds of Angels. Thousands, even. Choose one," I jutted my chin upwards.

God's lips curled in amusement as she slowly sat back down on her gilded throne that sat at the center of the platform, radiating a golden light. "Fine. I will choose another Angel and send Raziel with Ravenna. If- and only if- you and Grey head down to Washington today. Storms are brewing, war is imminent, plagues spreading the nations. Hell is near the surface, and will begin attacking mankind soon to draw us down. The stationed Angels will provide us time to get down there. I'd like you and Grey to be the first on the ground. The others will soon follow. I'll determine a method of communication between you all and us," God explained, leaning back in her throne.