Chapter 20

After dinner, Grey had gone upstairs to shower while I remained downstairs with a cup of tea, curled up on his sofa. I was watching the storm clouds in the distance, which I thought had been rolling in, but had instead sat out there like a spider awaiting his prey. I could feel the weight of the oncoming Reckoning weighing heavily on my chest- it occupied my every thought, my every dream. I didn't know if I was ready to protect Heaven, and I didn't know if Heaven was ready to protect me. I could feel the anxiety eating me from the inside out, like a viper coiling in the pit of my stomach. Grey had given me an odd look when I struggled to finish my dinner. I loved his cooking, I was just sick to my stomach with worry.

I sucked in a deep breath and took another sip of my simmering tea, as if the warmth of the drink could somehow ease my nerves. It didn't.

And when a knock resounded at the door, I nearly jumped out of my skin, almost spilling the scalding hot drink all over myself and Grey's expensive couch. I slowed my heart rate and set my drink down on the coffee table, straightening Grey's shirt I'd put on and pulling down my shorts as I walked over to the door. When I looked through the peephole, I was surprised to see the three Fallen standing on Grey's doorstep.

With a huff, I let down the walls that held my soul's power at bay, hoping that they would feel it like they'd felt Grey's and leave me alone. At that, I swung the door open and folded my arms, mustering up my best resting bitch face.

"Yes?" I raised an eyebrow sharply and narrowed my eyes at them. The one with the silvery hair and dark skin stepped forward, his dark eyes flicking back and forth between mine. Though he stood a few inches taller than me and had muscles to spare, I refused to be intimidated. They knew me as the Harbinger of Death. If they tried me, they'd find out why.

"A pack of Demons was found scouting around the outside of Grey's territory. We dealt with them, but we suspect there will be more. We just wanted to alert you both," he spoke coolly. The two twins behind him nodded, and I could feel their golden eyes on me.

"Thank you. I'll tell him. You may go now," I said dismissively, tilting my chin upwards.

"Where is he?" One of the twins spoke up, a little smirk curling on his lips.

"Busy," I narrowed my eyes.

"Then you wouldn't mind if we came in and waited for him?" The twin spoke again, darkness flickering in his eyes.

"Yes, I would mind," I snapped, sending out a shockwave of power that sent their knees buckling beneath them.

The next second I felt hot breath fanning my neck, and I instinctively arched it to allow for better access. His hand gripped my waist gently as he pressed his lips beneath the angle of my jaw.

How did he get here so fast?

"What seems to be the problem, love?" He whispered in my ear. His hair was still wet, and I could feel the water drip onto my neck and my shirt.

"Your friends are refusing to leave," I murmured back and felt his chest rumble in disapproval.

"I see. Release them, Greene. I'll handle it from here," he breathed, his teeth nipping at the sensitive skin on my neck. I shivered and nodded, pulling my power back inside.

"It was a simple misinterpretation, we just wanted to wait for you so we could tell you ourselves- there were Demons scouting out your territory, but we handled them. We think there will be more," the silver haired one spoke quickly.

"I appreciate you getting rid of the Demons, but you dare to disrespect her?" Grey snarled, taking a step in front of me.

"No, no- misunderstanding," one of the twins shook their head.