Chapter 4

I quietly closed my front door behind me as I creeped out into the hallway. I didn't want to wake anyone, and it was a little after 4 in the morning. The sky had just barely begun to brighten, but it's when I get the training pitch to myself. 

"Where are you sneaking off to?" I heard a familiar voice behind me and spun on my heel. 

Siena. Arms crossed, eyebrow raised, hip jutted out to the side and a twinkle in her eyes like she thought she knew what I was doing. They'd moved her in to a room down the hall from me earlier this week, shortly after I'd gotten her released from her detainment. She'd spent the rest of the week flying around, trying to orient herself, so I hadn't seen much of her since then. 

"Training," I replied, tightening my ponytail above my head. 

Michael had said that they were working on getting me an updated battle suit, but in the meantime, I continued to wear my old one. It was better than trying to train in the conservative, loose fitted tunic and pants that occupied my wardrobe. 

Siena paused, clenching her jaw slightly. 

"Do you think-do you think I could come?" She asked, not meeting my eyes. 

"I don't see why not," I shrugged and she grinned excitedly, as if she'd missed chucking knives at me. 

"I thought for sure you were sneaking out to go see Grey. He's been snappy this week, do you know what that's about?" Siena asked with a sigh, following me to the elevator. 

My heart leaped in my throat at the mention of his name. I tried to ignore it. 

We both needed time away. He needed to figure out if he could handle this kind of commitment and I needed to come to terms with it as well. 

"We-uh- we broke up," I replied, pressing my lips together as we stepped inside the elevator. 

Silence. 

I turned around to face Siena, who eyed me warily. 

"What did he do?" She grumbled out fiercely. 

"Nothing-I- it's complicated. God explained to us some of the repercussions of what I did when I Pledged my soul to him. We hadn't known until I rePledged to Heaven, but apparently, some of my soul will always remain bound to him now. It's effectively made us the only Angelic soulmates to ever exist. And until Grey binds his soul to mine as well, the whole bond is kind of one sided, so the part of my soul that exists in his is taking up my power and giving it to him, and I'm not getting any of his power in return. God said we have to complete the binding as soon as possible, but well-," I paused and Siena cut me off. 

"You and Grey both have commitment issues," she let out a deep sigh, leaning back against the elevator wall as we descended. 

"Yeah. So Grey kind of resents me at the moment, and I get it- I kind of resent myself too. We both just need a breather. It's a lot right now," I shrugged as the elevator doors opened and we walked into the lobby. 

"No wonder he's been so pissy all week. I'm- I'm sorry Jordan," she pulled her lips into a thin line, expressing her sympathy. 

"It's okay. I'm fine, honestly. I've spent the whole week training, and I feel great. Grey will come around when he wants to. In the meantime, I have to focus on my actual reason for existing and trying to offset the power he's draining from me," I mumbled as we walked out onto the street. 

"I'm surprised you're doing so well, given what happened the last time you broke up," she said quietly as she extended her dove grey wings. 

"Well, that was when I thought he'd cheated on me. Now, it's not so much about him hurting me or my pride, we're both just- we're both afraid. It's just different. I need the space just as much as he does. At least for now. I just- I hope he comes back," I replied, extending my own wings.