Nine

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕸𝖆𝖞 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖎𝖈𝖊𝖘 𝖗𝖊𝖋𝖑𝖊𝖈𝖙 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗
𝖍𝖔𝖕𝖊𝖘, 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖘

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━Cornelia

AS THEY approached Mr. Tumnus' house, Lucy's excited chatter trailed off as she stared at the open door in front of them. Cornelia froze next to Edmund at the sight, shifting slightly closer to the boy. He glanced at her before looking back up at the entrance to the home.

"Lu?" Peter asked.

The girl gasped and ran forward, "Lucy!"

The group chased after her, following her into the now-dark space that once belonged to Mr. Tumnus. Cornelia's grip on Edmund's hand tightened.

"Who would do something like this?" Lucy asked, looking around the house in horror.

The faun's belongings were strewn about the floor, his plates cracked and shattered. Pieces of paper littered the area and his couch was torn apart, as if someone had been searching for something. A glass shifted on the floor, causing Edmund to look down. The blonde followed his glance to see a broken portrait. For some reason, Edmund's hand tightened around hers, a feeling of sadness following in the wake. She made a mental note to ask him about that later.

Peter noticed a piece of paper pinned up on one of the pillars and he loosened it to read it, "the faun Tumnus is hereby charged with high treason against Her Imperial Majesty, Jadis, Queen of Narnia, for comforting her enemies and fraternizing with humans. Signed Maugrim, Captain of Police."

Oh, no, Cornelia thought, he didn't deserve that! Not with how he made the White Witch sound. He was a nice person- faun- just not very brave. He shouldn't be her prisoner!

The boy must have noticed her upset feelings because he turned to her with a concerned look on his face, "are you okay, Cornelia?"

She nodded sadly, "he was a nice faun," she murmured, "he didn't deserve that."

The guilt returned, this time slightly stronger and she gave Edmund a curious look which he ignored.

"Alright, now we really should go back," Susan said.

"But what about Mr. Tumus?" Lucy cried, "Cornelia, you met him! We need to help him!"

"I don't know if we can do anything, Lucy," the girl answered unhappily.

"If he was arrested just for being with a human, I don't think there's much we can do," the dark-haired girl agreed.

"You don't understand, do you? We were the humans. She must have found out he helped us."

"Maybe we could call the police," Peter suggested, causing Cornelia to snort slightly. Had he never learned anything about dictators?

She turned towards Edmund, who had shifted away from the group, "Edmund? Are you okay?"

"Just fine, why?"

"You're lying," she replied, "you can't hide your feelings from me, in case you forgot. Something's wrong, isn't it?"

His dark eyes shifted away from hers, "well, it's just... the Queen of Narnia isn't all bad. She just really wants to meet humans, is all."