Five

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝖇𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝖏𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖓𝖊𝖞
𝖙𝖆𝖐𝖊𝖘 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖍𝖔𝖒𝖊

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━1940 

EDMUND'S BIRTHDAY happened to fall in the same month as Cornelia's (though that was not always the case with soulmates.) Despite the war that raged in Europe, Lucy was determined to give her brother a good birthday because of everything they'd been through in the past few months. She and Susan spent several hours planning the party (sans sweets as he still refused to touch them— that actually made it easier.)

She had spent a lot of time trying to figure out the perfect gift for him, too, since there was nothing he really needed— and the party was tomorrow. She could get him a book, of course. He'd probably like to read about law or some similar topic but that was just too easy (besides, she was Lucy— she never gave practical gifts.) She could try to find a Narnian-like glass ornament or something equally whimsical but she didn't really think Edmund needed more remainders to the land and life they'd lost. So, she continued to brainstorm as she helped Susan set up the party table.

Thankfully, Edmund didn't have many friends (nor did he like to socialize), so the celebration would just be the four of them in addition to the Professor or Mrs. Macready and the maids if they wanted to join. Lucy placed the flower bouquet in the center as her sister directed, the birch leaves sticking up between the brightly-colored flowers proudly.

"Good," Susan said approvingly, "just turn it slightly to the right," Lucy obeyed, twisting the vase. The brunette frowned, "no, back the other way. No— more left. No, your other left, Lu. Alright, now move that frond slightly back, it's poking out too much—"

The directions carried on like this for some time until the older girl was happy with the presentation. They had already spent quite a bit of time on the decorations and had only gotten this far— there were still a number of items remaining on the list. Susan studied the set up critically, "something's not right."

Lucy gave her sister a patient smile, "Su, it's Edmund. He could give two figs about what color the table cloth is— or even if there was one. Don't you remember the fuss he made about you throwing that huge ball on his twentieth?"

The older girl's lips pressed together and Lucy winced slightly. Unlike her siblings, Susan had done her best to move on with her life. She hadn't mentioned the magical land once in the months and months since they'd been back and had even taken to acting as if they'd pretended the whole thing. While none of them liked it, they tried their best to refrain from mentioning Narnia in her presence as they would usually be met with a lecture about how they "couldn't wait forever." Fortunately, the brunette refrained from her usual response and ignored the last part of her sister's words, "exactly. I want Ed to have a good birthday and everything has to be perfect for that to happen. I know he'll appreciate it someday."

"I wouldn't hold your breath," the younger girl murmured, picking up the napkins to place them beside each setting.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!" Lucy exclaimed quickly, "anyway, do you know what you're getting him? I haven't the faintest."

"I'm going to get him a set of law books," Susan replied as she held up the silverware to study it, "according to Peter he's been interested in the debate club at their school. You always know what to get people, Lu. You'll figure it out."