Nineteen

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖍𝖆𝖘 𝖎𝖙 𝖇𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙
𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊 𝖐𝖓𝖔𝖜𝖘 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖎𝖙𝖘 𝖔𝖜𝖓
𝖉𝖊𝖕𝖙𝖍 𝖚𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖑 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖗
𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖊𝖕𝖆𝖗𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓.

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━Cornelia

EUSTACE SAT next to her as Edmund and Caspian rowed through the carpet of white flowers. Lucy sat at the bow and Reepicheep ran along the edge of the boat to stand at the opposite end, the whole party feeling peaceful now that their adventures were drawing to a close.

Well, almost all of them. Cornelia couldn't keep her eyes off her soulmate, desperate to memorize every last detail of his features. There was something about the way that they rode towards the end that made her realize that this was it— forever.

"So, what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund asked his cousin.

"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then He came towards me. It sort of hurt but it was a good pain. You know, like peeling off a scab. Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really. I'm so sorry for being such a sop," Eustace finished apologetically.

She placed a gentle hand on his arm, "it's alright, Eustace. You were a pretty good dragon."

The boy gave her a sheepish smile as her soulmate added, "between the two of us, you haven't been as bad as I was on my first trip to Narnia. You were only an ass, but I was a traitor."

"But look how far you've both come," Cornelia pointed out, her gaze soft as she met the brunet's eyes.

Edmund gave her a similar expression and paused in his rowing. Leaning over the side of the boat, he picked up one of the white flowers from the water and straightened before reaching across to gently tuck it behind her ear. She felt her face warm at the action and looked away as the boy returned to his task, a faintly amused smile on his face.

"I still maintain that you two are disgustingly sappy," Eustace commented on his cousin's actions, some of the old tone he'd once used returning to his voice.

The group shared a laugh at this as Reepicheep gazed out across the water, "my friends, we have arrived."

Caspian and Edmund pulled the boat ashore as everyone climbed out and their feet sank in the soft sand. Cornelia's hand found her soulmate's as her grip on his fingers tightened, wanting to savor every last minute she had with him.

The wall of water they'd seen at a distance had grown impossibly larger and it now stretched up before them to reach the sky in a never-ending wave of blue. While she was reminded of a tsunami, there was nothing even vaguely threatening about the size of the surge; all she felt was peace tinged with sadness, her mind unable to let go of their impending goodbye.

"Aslan," Eustace murmured, staring at the Lion that seemed to have appeared from nowhere— and everywhere. They gathered around Him.

"Welcome, children. You have done well. Very well indeed," He began, "you have come far and now your journey is at its end."

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked, sharing a look with her brother.

"No, my country lies beyond," Aslan answered as He turned His great head to face the wave.