Twelve

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖎𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖊𝖋𝖎𝖓𝖎𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝖍𝖔𝖒𝖊?
𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒, 𝖇𝖚𝖙
𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖉.

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━Edmund

EDMUND HAD kept Lucy awake all night after he woke her (which she was not at all pleased about.) He'd returned to his habit of pacing as he walked the distance of her small room, the girl's eyes watching him with barely-hidden irritation, her normal patience absent from her expression. While he did feel a little bad, he couldn't help it; the sense of foreboding was so strong that it made it impossible to think about or do anything else.

It much reminded him of the three years that had passed since they'd left Narnia— feeling stuck. Susan had adapted the best (which wasn't a surprise) by forgetting all about their adventures. Peter had thrown himself into his studies and was making leaps and bounds in school with a promising career ahead of him. Lucy, of course, was just as sweet and kind as always as she tried to do good wherever it was needed.

He'd tried (of course he had) to move on, to find something that interested him in this world, but he hadn't been able to focus on anything. He had been stuck in a feeling of waiting (for what, he didn't know) and none of his best efforts had come to fruition. Edmund had, secretly, hoped that it was a sign that the separation from his soulmate wasn't as permanent as he thought, but he hadn't dared to voice the thought aloud. The moment he'd seen the light go off, though, he'd known.

At precisely eleven am the same morning (as it was very late when he'd woken his sister) while Lucy was groggily preparing her tea, he'd felt it— the sudden rush of feeling that had only come when Cornelia had entered Narnia. He'd tried to convince himself that he was just imagining things, that it was just a fluke, but the potency of the feelings were too powerful to ignore: confusion, alarm, and distress.

As Lucy grasped her mug and turned towards her usual seat at the kitchen table, Edmund had spun around to face her at the same time, resulting in him knocking her drink out of her hands and onto the floor, "Ed!"

"Nelly," he said, his tone urgent, "she's here, Lu. I can— I can— something's happened."

The younger girl stared down at the spilled contents in dismay, "I was going to enjoy that!"

"Never mind that now," Edmund brushed her words away, "didn't you hear me? Nelly's here."

Finally, she looked up at him, her expression wary, "what do you mean here, exactly?"

"Here, in this time," it was impossible to hide the note of joy in his voice and he couldn't stop the beaming smile from spreading across his lips, "I don't know how— it's a miracle, but I can feel her for the first time in years, Lu. I— I have— we have to go—"

"Ed," Lucy started, her own voice more cautious, "are you sure? I don't think we should—"

"I've never been more certain about anything," he told her firmly, "and we have to go find her. She won't know where to go or how to act—" he continued listing reasons as he made his way out of the room. Edmund stopped in the hallway and began pulling on his shoes, still talking, "she's going to be lost and she's already confused, I can feel it— I can feel it, Lu!"