Twelve

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝖂𝖎𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖎𝖘 𝖆 𝖘𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋
𝖗𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞 & 𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖆𝖗𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

[winter, year 1012]

━━━━━━━Edmund

EVERYONE KNEW that when it snowed, Edmund didn't go outside. While everyone else participated in winter festivities he holed himself away in the library, in his room— anywhere that wasn't outside. Even though it had been many years now since his betrayal the memory of it still haunted him and he refused to so much as set foot beyond the castle.

As much as he would've liked to join his siblings and soulmate in their snowy fun, he instead poured over manuscripts and books to occupy his time. It wasn't that he was afraid of snow— of course not, that would be ridiculous— he was afraid of the memories that pushed themselves to the front of his mind. They already lingered during the night; he didn't want them around in the day as well. So, he often sat at the writing desk in the library and looked out the window to see what was going on outside, lacking all desire to join in (even when he felt the bursts of happiness that Cornelia felt as she messed around with his siblings.)

Today, he was currently reading an old (and very boring) tax manuscript in an effort to improve their current system. He kept glancing out the window even with his focus as he felt the familiar tug of joy that his soulmate so often felt. Despite the season, a small smile tugged on his lips.

At the sound of the door opening, Edmund half-turned to see who it was, surprised that it was the very person he'd been thinking about, "and what brings you here in this kind of weather?" he asked teasingly.

Cornelia smiled, though there was a glint in her that she was... up to something. He watched her warily as she approached, alert for something that might be a trap. She ignored his wariness and approached him, looping her arms around his neck as she leaned forward to rest her chin on his shoulder. Still suspicious, he relaxed into her touch and rested his head against hers as she replied, "you, of course."

"Me?"

"Mmm," she agreed, placing her hands flat on his chest, "why don't you take a break?"

Trap. There it was— exactly what he'd been expecting, "are you... trying to seduce me to go outside?"

Cornelia pouted slightly, "was I really that obvious?"

"Only because I know you so well," he told her with a faint smirk, "it's not going to work you know."

"Then clearly you don't know me as well as you think," she replied smoothly, turning her head slightly so that her lips were brushing his ear. Edmund stiffened, his heart picking up speed as she continued, "what if... I were to owe you a favor?"

"A favor?" he repeated, his voice sounding rather breathless.

"Mmm," she said again, her hand sliding a down his tunic, "like when you want me to play chess with you— except reverse."

He shivered slightly, both at the thought and the touch of her lips, "do— do I have to specify?" he asked fervently.

"Not right now, no," Cornelia decided, her tone obviously smug that she was winning (he didn't care.)

Edmund tried to weigh the pros and cons but his head was all muddled from her lips pressing against his jaw. He suddenly couldn't remember why he didn't like the snow, "okay."