Thirteen

╔═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╗

𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖉 𝖍𝖆𝖘 𝖕𝖔𝖎𝖘𝖔𝖓𝖊𝖉
𝖒𝖊𝖓'𝖘 𝖘𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖘.

╚═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╝

━━━━━━━Cornelia

CORNELIA COULDN'T help but wonder if there was any morning where she was fully able to believe that she got to wake up beside her soulmate. It always felt like she was living in a dream— a delightful one, of course— where the first thing she could see was her husband's face. It was a wonderful sight to wake up to even if he hadn't been so handsome.

Smiling slightly, she allowed herself to admire his features. She always did her best to love him because of who he was (not what he looked like) but she couldn't always be so blind. Raising her hand, she gently cupped the side of his face against her palm as he continued to sleep, his breaths slow and even. Cornelia softly brushed her thumb against his cheek and lay there for a moment, her head resting on his chest. Underneath her ear, she could hear the steady, reassuring beat of his heart that reminded her of how painfully (amazingly) alive he was.

It was still early enough that the rest of the ship was still sleeping and as she became aware of her surroundings, she realized with relief that that storm had abated. The room was bright with the light of the rising sun and she could hear the gentle lapping of the waves at the ship's hull as it rocked on the water. She did her best to shift out of Edmund's vice-like grip without waking him, shaking her head at how he seemed to know she was trying to get up. To pacify him, she placed a soft kiss on his cheek and another on his nose, which scrunched (adorably) at the action.

As his arms loosened their grip, she quickly took the opportunity to slide out of them and allowed her bare feet to touch the floor. Dressing as quietly as possible, Cornelia glanced back one last time at her resting soulmate, whose emotions had, thankfully, evened out after the scare the ship's members had endured. Then, she softly shut the door and climbed the stairs.

The air was cool against her face as she stepped out onto the deck and the sky was a soft blue, a purplish tinge to the horizon. Cornelia walked over to the railing and placed her hands on the smooth wood as she gazed out at sea, thanking Aslan for the respite after the hellish two weeks.

"Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning. Purple is a good sign."

At the sound of Caspian's voice, she turned to give him a surprised look, "we have that same saying on Earth."

The king shrugged as he came to stand next to her, "sailing is a language that crosses many barriers."

"And now you sound like Drinian," she told him teasingly, earning a faux-offended look from him.

"Dear Aslan I hope not!" he exclaimed, chuckling slightly as his voice became stern, "back to work!"

Cornelia giggled at his imitation, "that was pretty good, actually," and then she sobered, "how are you faring after last night?"

"Better than most," Caspian replied somberly, the humor disappearing from his tone, "how are you? And Edmund?"

Her gaze returned to the horizon, "better than most," she echoed, "Ed's still sleeping."

"I thought as much," the Telmarine said, "he rarely leaves your side otherwise."

"We're not that— okay, we are that bad," she conceded, "but it's because Narnia is the only place where we can be together—"