Six

╔═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╗

𝕴𝖙'𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖜𝖆𝖞: 𝖇𝖊𝖎𝖓𝖌
𝖈𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖊𝖉 𝖎𝖘 𝖇𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊𝖘
𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖙. 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖙
𝖎𝖘 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖙𝖔 𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖉𝖊𝖗.

╚═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╝

━━━━━━━Edmund

THEY WALKED aimlessly through the quiet town and most of the group spread out to widen their circle. He kept close to Cornelia, though, despite the irritated huff it earned him.

"Doesn't it feel like we're being watched?" she murmured quietly to him.

"A bit, yeah," he agreed, his eyes studying their surroundings carefully, "I'm half-expecting someone to jump out at us."

Eustace trailed behind them and (reluctantly) he kept an eye on his cousin. The boy peered between the shutters of one house before he hurried away from the home, "yeah, looks like nobody is in. Do you think we should head back?"

"Do you want to come here and guard... something?" he asked, knowing Eustace wouldn't be able to help much if they were attacked.

"Ah, yes. Good idea, cousin. Very uh... logical," he did a funny little run over to them as he spoke since the group had stopped just outside the bell tower.

Caspian retraced his steps and handed the boy a spare dagger which he held awkwardly in his hands, "I've got it, I've got it, don't worry."

With a patient sigh, Cornelia stepped forward and arranged his hands properly, "here, hold it like this. Also, don't stand with your feet like that— keep them farther apart so you won't topple over the second someone swings for you. Make sure to bend your knees slightly—"

"Nelly," Edmund said, "let's go."

The girl gave his cousin a reassuring smile, "you'll do fine, Eustace," she told him and then she returned to his side.

"You're too nice to him," he grumbled.

Cornelia gave him an unimpressed look, "he's your cousin Ed. Technically that makes him my family too."

He grimaced, "sorry about that."

She rolled her eyes, "come on."

They entered the cavernous, dark space with Caspian at the lead. Statues of richly-dressed men that were several feet tall lined the room on either side and were interspaced by pillars that held up the roof. Several had missing heads and above them large bells hung from the rafters. Occasional dusty shafts of light illuminated the otherwise dimly lit room.

"This definitely doesn't have horror movie written all over it," Cornelia murmured quietly next to him.

"At least we'd have an excuse to off Eustace," Edmund tried to lighten the mood, "he can be the sacrifice," he'd half-expected her to scold him though when he didn't receive a response, he turned to see her standing closer to the entrance, "Nel?"

"Eddie," she said slowly, "come here."

He went over to her wearing a concerned expression on his face, "what's wrong?"

Up ahead Lucy was asking about the names in the ledger book that sat on a podium which was surrounded by other piles of other tomes. Cornelia leaned closer to him, "look up."

Edmund followed her direction but all he saw was the shadowed space, "I don't see anything."

"Use your torch."