Chapter 2 - Joking Aside

The next day, I had an early morning shift in the café.

The place was on a long list of reasons why I couldn't wait to qualify and no longer have to serve coffee for my contribution to the Pack.

Dully, I frothed milk for what felt like the thousandth latte of the morning.

I shot a forced smile at the customer waiting impatiently at the end of the counter. If she clucked her tongue at me one more time, I might just add salt to her drink in place of the sugar.

Shelby was my least favourite Pack member, and yet her caffeine addiction meant that I saw her more than most.

I was just transferring the foam to her cup when Jack walked in.

As the Lead Defender and youngest wolf to achieve a ranked status in over four centuries, Jack drew attention wherever he went.

But even more so from the unmated females in the pack.

Considered an extremely eligible bachelor, with a well-known desire to never take a mate, he drew women to him like moths to a flame. Each determined to ensnare him.

Oblivious to the usual staring, he strode over to the counter with the easy grin I knew so well. "Morning Charlie. Black coffee when you're ready."

I nodded a confirmation as I passed Shelby her cup, quickly moving on to his drink.

"No milk or sugar?" Shelby simpered, flicking her long blond hair flirtatiously.

"I'm sweet enough honey." He smiled and leant against the counter, sweeping his gaze over her as he spoke.

Gag.

I rolled my eyes and finished up with his coffee, doing my best to ignore their conversation.

Jack is a complete man-whore and does nothing to hide the fact. He's a serial flirt with absolutely no concept of monogamy. No interest in anything other than the chase, the game and an easy lay. Any whiff of commitment and he runs for the hills.

"Come sit with me, Jack." Shelby murmured, batting long lashes, and biting her lip.

Jack grinned and jerked his head towards the busy café. "Find us a table and I'll be right with you."

As she left, Jack turned his midnight gaze back to me. A cocky smirk still on his lips.

"You want to be careful with that one. A flirt today is a pup tomorrow." I chuckled. Watching his smile slip slightly.

Jack grinned. "Save the lecture, little miss. I knew to use protection before you were out of the cot."

I snorted. "A woman like that will dissolve your protection. She's like a walking STD farm. Sometimes I worry I'll catch something just handing her a coffee."

Jack tipped his head back and laughed loudly. The noise attracting the attention of a grumpy looking Shelby.

He took the coffee I handed to him, eyes twinkling with laughter. "I can take care of myself. You need to be worrying about how you are going to beat me tonight."

He raised his cup in a goodbye salute and crossed the café to slip into the seat opposite Shelby.

Moments later, the café door swung open again.

Violet, the Scout's trainer, marched in, closely followed by her trainees Holly and Callum.

She took a second to survey the room before growling lightly as her eyes settled on Jack. "Do you think you can drag yourself away for a moment to discuss the Qualifying arrangements, Jack?" she barked. Voice dripping with derision.