Chapter 32 - Back From The Dead

Anger swirled inside me like a raging inferno.

I couldn't believe I had been so stupid. I had ignored every instinct, every indication from my wolf.

In peace times, it would be unheard of to keep a guest from the Luna. But these were not peace times.

I felt like such an idiot. Such a failure.

My heart felt heavy in my chest as the sickening reality sunk in further. Hazel's blood seeping gradually through my ineffective fingers.

She was unconscious. Pale eyelids fluttering restlessly.

Footsteps echoed along the corridor, long before anyone skidded into view.

The Alpha was at the forefront of the group. His long legs pumping furiously as he launched himself towards us.

He barrelled into the entrance of the doorway, grey gaze blazing over the scene before him.

His whole body froze as he looked upon the man unconscious by my side.

Grunts of surprise came from the hall as everyone tried to slow themselves in time before they ran into his large back.

Guilt and confusion warred within me and I heard a tortured whine leave my lips. "I'm so, so, sorry. I didn't know..."

Julian's face had turned a sickly shade of green, his whole being still frozen in place.

Jack's head appeared over his shoulder. "Jules, you need to get out of the way." He shoved lightly, both men stumbling into the room.

Jack's eyes scanned the scene, immediately widening as they landed on the shooter.

Snarling, he hopped over Hazel's body and grabbed the limp body of the human beside me by the front of his shirt. He turned sharply, eyes scanning me. "Are you ok Charlie?"

He glanced at Hazel, worry bleeding into the anger in his gaze.

Doctors were gently pulling me away from Hazel, taking over where I had left off stemming the blood.

My head swivelled almost drunkenly between Jack, Julian, and Hazel. My brain was struggling to comprehend the bizarre moment.

Wiping my hands shakily on my jeans, I glanced at my mate. "It isn't me you should be worrying about right now." My voice broke as my gaze fell on the massive puddle of blood that was slowly growing around Hazel.

Julian was still standing motionless. His eyes had never even gone back to his mate.

My earlier anger returned with a burning intensity. "What are you doing! Go to her! She needs you by her side!"

My words fell on deaf ears and Julian didn't react in the slightest.

Jack flung the man's body easily over his shoulder, standing and moving beside our supposed leader.

"Jules. It isn't your fault." He placed a gentle hand on the older man's arm, barely receiving more than a flinch in response.

The room was clearing, and I still didn't understand. Hazel was being taken away and her mate didn't seem the slightest bit interested.

I knew that their relationship had been far from perfect. Hell, I was living, breathing proof of that. But I had always seen how much love they had for each other.

The warm gazes, gentle touches. Soft smiles when they thought no one was watching.

How could he have no reaction right now?

Jack again, gave him a gentle push. "Go. Charlie is right, she needs you." A flicker of life came into Julian's silver gaze and his lip curled as he nodded questioningly at the unconscious man.