Chapter 28 - A Mother's Prerogative

Jack was still fiddling with his tie as we dashed the remaining few feet into the Pack House.

I smoothed the soft pink fabric of my dress and bit my lip. Running an eye nervously over us both.

I couldn't help but feel like we were wearing huge signs, broadcasting the reason for our tardiness.

My wolf hummed pleasantly in my head as I looked at Jack. He was wearing navy suit trousers with a crisp white shirt tucked in. His matching waistcoat nipped in his small waist and accentuated the delicious 'V' of his lean body.

With so little time, I had messily piled my brown curls atop my head, relieved that they managed to fall into a sort of teased bun.

Eyes twinkling, Jack took my hand and led me through the hallways.

I barely registered where we were going as I fought to squash the nerves bubbling in my belly.

Finally, we turned into a large dining room. Soft music greeting us as we entered.

I cringed inwardly at the romantic sight before us.

A table had been set up with six places, a crisp white tablecloth dotted with gleaming silver and crystalline glasses.

Soft light flickered throughout the room, painting inky shadows in the corners, and illuminating our little dining space.

Four faces turned expectantly as we entered, four sets of eyes flicking over us in obvious assessment.

I felt a blush rise to my cheeks and I lowered my eyes, wishing to be anywhere else on the planet.

Hazel was the first to speak, standing with a beaming grin and beckoning us over. "Come on in! Sit! I'm so glad you both came!"

We took our seats, the round table leaving no escape from any of the inquisitive stares.

I managed to send a shaky smile to Jack's mum. My own intrigue getting the better of me as I looked at the woman who bore my mate.

Her navy gaze was as familiar to me as my own skin, but that is where the similarities ended. Her features were small and delicate, framed in a curtain of silken black hair that hung down to her navel.

She returned my smile. Eyes flicking hesitantly to Jack. "Hello, you two. It is lovely to finally put a face to the name, Charlie."

Her voice was low, with a light gravel that juxtaposed sharply with her very feminine features.

I found myself nodding. "It is lovely to meet you too."

Julian and James muttered wary greetings. Quite obviously forced into this by their wives.

Smiling warmly, Jack plucked a bottle of wine from the centre of the table, completely at ease.

He first offered it to the Luna, before going on to fill his mother's glass and then my own. "Sorry we were late. My fault, I completely lost track of time."

His tone was light, but the double meaning made my cheeks burn even hotter. I grabbed my glass, taking a greedy gulp of wine.

My eyes settled on Julian's silver gaze as I returned my glass to the table.

He looked as uncomfortable as I felt, and we shared a sheepish grin.

Hazel smiled around the table as the first of the food was brought out. "Well then, isn't this nice?"

A bowl of soup was placed in front of me and I watched amused as Jack darted for the bread basket.

His father clucked his tongue, slapping his hands away with a soft smile. "You know better. Wait until the Alpha is ready."