Chapter 52 - Death of The Known

Hi guys!

Not sure about this one... Did I do it justice?

- Molly x

I was barely able to focus as we were winched up the cliff-face in makeshift gurneys.

The jolting journey upward would ordinarily have terrified me, but my mind was too full of fear already.

Jack was rushed to the medical wing, only a few medically trained wolves were allowed to go with him.

I tried to argue. But I knew there was no point.

It was time for a new Elder.

I couldn't think. Could barely breath.

Couldn't accept the words of condolence or the hugs of sympathy.

That would mean I had to accept that he might be gone.

Fury whirled inside me as I was escorted along with everyone else to the Great Lake.

I needed to be there. With him.

I didn't give a flying fuck about a new Elder.

But it had to be done.

The Point must always have two Elders. To maintain the balance of power the moon-goddess bestowed on us.

All delays to achieving it meant a constant deterioration of their power, and Alden was already becoming weaker.

Any wolf that is a valid member of a pack – no rogues – and of the required gender must attend the ceremony. No exceptions are allowed in order for the ritual to work. In this case – the women were needed.

I saw James comforting Anna, before they parted ways. Their distress stoked my own and I smothered a sob. This was wrong. Anna and I were needed elsewhere.

Dusk had crept upon us, slowly invading the canyon with shadows.

The freshwater lake was inky black in the darkness. Speckled with the reflection of hundreds of lanterns peppering the walls to illuminate our Great Lake of life.

Without this lake, we wouldn't have fish to feed on in times of trouble, but more than that, we wouldn't have our Elders.

Every member of the crowd solemnly took their place on the bank of the river. Faces pale with nerves. This ritual hadn't been performed in even our parent's lifetimes.

Only Alden had witnessed this before. When he and Edda took their places.

"You will follow my lead." Alden instructed. His voice ringing out over the large expanse of the lake. "When this is over, we will have a new High Luna."

The silence that followed his words was broken only by the hollow gusting of the wind through the cavern.

Alden took a deep breath before stepping into the water.

When we followed suit, he bared his teeth. Snarling with an anger that echoed around us. "Goodbye, my friend. We will avenge you." He bowed his head, sinking his teeth into the flesh of his wrist and opening up a small wound.

Hisses of pain erupted around me as we all replicated the action. I was barely even registering the moment. The pain was dull and inferior compared to what plagued my heart.

Our wrists settled into the cool water. One after the next joining the mix until the liquid around us became warm with the blood of our brethren.

Alden then walked deeper into the lake. Stopping when the water hit his collar bone, before finally descending below the surface into the darkness.

The water lapped at my body as I moved deeper into the lake. Each step bringing me a moment closer to finding out what was happening with Jack.

As I let the water swallow me, I immediately felt a change. My skin burnt with a fiery power. My arms itched and tingled, heartbeat racing with adrenaline.

A shockwave of energy pulsed through me, making me gasp, but no water rushed in to choke me.

I didn't need to see anyone's reaction to realise what had happened.

Didn't need to bear witness to the runes that now spread intricately down my arms.

The moon goddess had chosen me.

I rose out of the lake, striding past the awed faces of strangers and friends alike. I ignored Alden's attempt to call me back. Holly's excited squeal.

My father stepped into my path, but I easily moved him aside.

I am the High Luna.

I will wait no longer to see my mate.

I was almost at the doors of the medical wing when they burst open. Revealing the panting, naked form of my mate. His face was pale and his body was covered in pink, raw-looking patches of flesh. The mark on my neck stung as his eyes landed on me. Widening in surprise as he took in the runes on my arms.

James was hot on his heels, brandishing a black dressing gown at his son. "I swear you're going to give me heart failure. Will you put some bloody clothes on!"

He glanced around to see who might be bearing witness to his son's parade of nudity. Eyes landing on my and jaw dropping open in a very un-James, un-Beta like way.

Jack recovered first. A warm smile lighting his face. He pulled on the dressing gown, taking a step towards me. "I wasn't sure... The last thing I remembered was you being in danger. And now... Well... You're definitely ok... You look amazing."

Relief crashed through me so suddenly it nearly knocked me to my knees. I could barely believe he was ok. Better than ok. Standing and speaking to me.

James looked between us. "Ah... That makes a strange sort of sense I guess." He smiled at my clear confusion. "The moon goddess clearly blesses the mates of our Elders as well."

Jack frowned, looking down at himself. "What do you mean?"

James's smile slipped. A momentary flash of anguish flickered on his face before it was gone. "Son... You died in there."