own

26 | twenty six

Stacey and Kim walked down the hallways to get to their next class a few days later. They stopped off at Kim's locker as she got her English books and Stacey looked over at two girls who were stood at their lockers, talking and looking at them every now and then.

Stacey frowned until she heard what they were saying.

"-such a slut-" one of them muttered and Stacey ground her teeth together.

"-a bunch of fuck-ups," she muttered and one of the girl's glared at her but Stacey just stepped forward.

"You wanna say something?" Stacey asked.

The girl looked around at everyone watching and then sighed, shaking her head.

"Didn't think so," Stacey said and turned back to Kim who had finished getting her stuff from her locker.

"How do you do that?" Kim asked as they walked down the hallway.

"Do what?" Stacey asked, still agitated.

"Deal with them," she said.

Stacey shrugged. "They're just a bunch of bitches. If you let their words get to you then you give them power."

Stacey knew what she said was hypocritical.

Their words had hit her hard and words like that always did. But she couldn't let that show. How was she supposed to hold up a reputation that everyone expected if she cried at every mean word someone threw her way.

"I would never be able to do that," Kim admitted.

"Why not?" Stacey asked as they walked into class, sitting down at their desks beside each other.

"Because just then...I was so angry," Kim said. "When they called us sluts, I honestly just wanted to hit them."

"You should have," Stacey muttered in amusement.

"No..." Kim said. "It's more complicated than that."

Stacey frowned. "How so?"

Kim sighed and pulled her hair out of her face, bringing her small mirror out and lipstick to touch up. "Because I wanted to hit myself more than I wanted to hit them."

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram