love

Thank you to xRashLifex for the amazing cover ^

20 | twenty

Scottie Jackson was worried when he didn't see Stacey Williams at all during school.

He leaned against his red car, arms crossed over his chest and curly blonde hair falling into his eyes. School had finished and at this point Stacey would usually come walking out with her mass of followers lagging behind her but it had been nearly ten minutes since the bell rang and he couldn't find her anywhere.

He knew that he was being stupid for worrying over a girl that he had only known for about two weeks but he couldn't help it.

When he had seen the state of her hair the day before it felt like he was looking at his sister's reflection.

His sister – Morgan – was labelled as a slut throughout the whole of high school. Boys used her and girls hated her. She had no real friends and Scottie, five years younger than her, watched like an idiot as she wasted away.

He didn't know what to do.

And one day Scottie came home to see her sitting on the ground, crying her eyes out with a pair of scissors in her hand. Her curly blonde hair was a mess on the ground and her tears made makeup run down her cheeks.

But the scissors hadn't just cut her hair.

She had cut her wrists too.

Scottie always remembered that day. It haunted him and scarred him through every living second of his life. He knew it had torn his parents apart too but they hadn't been the one to find Morgan sitting brokenly on the ground.

Scottie sighed and pressed his back further against the door of his car. He didn't want to keep remembering that day but the more time he spent around Stacey – the harder it was getting.

Maybe that was why he asked Stacey to go out with him that day to meet his family. He felt a sense of connection because she was so much like his sister. But then again, they were different in so many ways.

Stacey suddenly came out the back door, none of her posse behind her and Scottie walked forward, catching her eye.

"Hey," Stacey smiled when she reached Scottie, realizing that no one else was in the parking lot as they had all gone home.

"Hey," Scottie gave a smile back. "You want a ride?"

"Actually..." Stacey said. "Could you take me somewhere?"

Scottie frowned but nodded. "Sure, where?"

"To the hairdressers," Stacey grinned. "I'm going to get my hair done properly."

Scottie just nodded.

"I can drive you there," he said.

"Thanks," Stacey said. "You weren't by any chance waiting for me, were you?"

"And if I was?" Scottie asked back with a sly smirk making Stacey laugh.

"Then I wouldn't be one to object," Stacey said as she walked over to his red car.

Scottie watched her, his smile slowly slipping. He hoped that she was nothing like Morgan. He hoped that Stacey was somehow different and would stop making the same mistakes. He didn't want to see Stacey fall as hard as Morgan had.

Because the same night Scottie found her cutting her hair and wrists, he found her dead in her room.

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram