against

24 | twenty four

"This is good work," Mr. Dallaire said as he held out Stacey's short story towards her. "One of the very best in the class."

Stacey smiled at the praise, waiting for everyone else in her English class to leave when the bell rang. "Really?"

"Really," Mr. Dallaire said. "You have a talent for writing, I don't want to see you throw that away."

Stacey took her paper from him and clutched it lightly to her chest. "Thank you."

"If you want help or anything don't hesitate to come see me and please continue to write outside of school. Have you ever thought about writing as a career?"

"Not really," Stacey said honestly.

"Well it should become a serious thought," Mr. Dallaire smiled. "Head off to class before the bell rings, just tell your teacher that I was talking to you."

Stacey nodded and turned around, walking out the door with her grade 'A' paper firmly in her grasp.

***

"Writer, huh?" Kim asked quietly as her and Stacey sat at a table in the cafeteria, the rest of the cheerleaders surrounding them.

"He said I was good," Stacey shrugged and Kim smiled.

"What kind of stories?"

"I don't know," Stacey said. "I want to write about a cheerleader."

"A cheerleader?" Kim spluttered out a laugh.

"No, I mean like a problematic cheerleader. Okay, maybe problematic isn't the right word. But a cheerleader who has issues and problems at home or maybe she's just got issues that no one else sees," Stacey explained, sipping her water.

"Damn, you're deep," Kim grinned and Stacey rolled her eyes.

"I think it would be an alright book," Stacey said, picking at the paper wrapping around the bottle.

"You never know," Kim said. "Maybe I'll end up being your muse."

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram