reality

13 | thirteen

All eyes were on Stacey as she walked into the cafeteria the next day.

She bought a drink and was going to head out but all the eyes on her were giving an unnerving feeling that went straight to her gut. She glared at everyone and they glanced away but just as quickly as Stacey turned away, they were staring at her again.

Stacey looked around the room – trying to find Scottie.

She didn't know why she was trying to find him but right now he seemed like the best option.

He was safe.

"Hey Stacey," someone called out from behind her and Stacey turned around only to have something wet and sloppy poured over her head. It went into her hair and down her face, smelling strongly and dribbling over her scalp.

Scarlett gave Stacey a triumphant smirk as she watched the spaghetti and tomato sauce drip from Stacey's hair to the ground. Everyone was cheering Scarlett on and Stacey could see Axel out of the corner of her eye.

Stacey didn't reach up to wipe her face or move the dripping sauce out of her eyes.

"That's for trying to take my boyfriend," Scarlett hissed. "He never wanted you and he never will."

Stacey blinked and waited for Scarlett to walk past, shoving her shoulder.

She saw Axel and his friends move from the corner of her eyes and waited until they had left the cafeteria. Stacey sighed and looked down at her ruined shirt as she felt the food seep into her hair and she held back her tears as everyone around her laughed.

***

"Jesus, what happened to you?" Scottie asked as Stacey walked towards the girls bathroom.

"What do you think?" Stacey snapped and Scottie held his hands up.

"No need to get angry at me," Scottie said.

Stacey ignored him and stormed into the girl's bathroom, looking at her pathetic reflection in the mirror. She wiped the spaghetti away from her face with both hands and rubbed her eyes, opening them back up to see Scottie leaning against the wall through the mirror.

"This is the girl's bathroom," Stacey pointed out and Scottie smiled, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I'm aware," he said.

"You're not supposed to be in here!" Stacey hissed.

"You look like you need help," Scottie said.

Stacey whirled round to face him with a glare on her face.

"Yeah? Well I don't need your help. I don't need anyone!" Stacey snapped. "I can sort myself out. Just go away!"

Stacey turned back to the mirror and picked food out from her hair. She looked down at her ruined shirt and ran her finger down the spoilt material.

She suddenly felt two hands on her shoulders and looked up, catching Scottie's eye in the mirror.

"I told you to go away," Stacey said with not much conviction.

"And I said you need help," Scottie replied and Stacey looked away, wiping her face again as tomato sauce dropped onto her cheek.

She felt Scottie's hands move up and gently run through her hair, pulling out strings of pasta.

"Have to admit," Scottie murmured, "this is kind of funny."

"It is not!" Stacey said but she couldn't stop the little smile that fell on her face.

Scottie laughed and looked down at the mess of tomato sauce that sat on his hand. "God, that's gross."

"Tell me about it," Stacey muttered, giving herself a once over in the mirror.

Scottie smiled softly at her and put his hands back on her shoulder, leaning over so that he could look at her through the mirror.

"My car's in the parking lot," he said. "I can give you a ride to your house or mine and get you cleaned up."

Stacey began to shake her head but Scottie just raised an eyebrow at her. "It wasn't a question."

Stacey huffed but nodded, grateful that there was someone out there for her right now.

"We can go out the back entrance so not many people see you," Scottie said and Stacey breathed out in relief.

"Thanks," she said sincerely.

The two of them washed their hands quickly and as Scottie dried his on the side of his shirt, Stacey glanced at herself one more time in the mirror.

"Hey Scottie?" she asked and he glanced over at her. "You know yesterday, when you asked me if Scarlett deserved it or not and I said I didn't know?"

"Yeah," Scottie said and walked over to her.

"Well I made my mind up," Stacey said as she looked at her reflection, face covered in drying pasta sauce. "She did."

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram