appreciate

22 | twenty two

The house was silent when Stacey walked in.

She wandered through the house and stopped in the kitchen where she found her dad sitting at the dining table, reading the newspaper. She leaned against the doorway and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Where's mom?" she asked and her dad glanced up at her.

"She went to the grocery store, should be back in a minute."

Stacey nodded silently and bit her lip, looking around the kitchen until her eyes landed back on her dad who was engrossed in his reading. Her heart clenched and she licked her lips nervously.

Who would be to blame?

"Dad," Stacey started. "I have to tell you something...something that I wanted to tell you yesterday."

Her dad looked up and sighed. "Why, what is it?"

Stacey gulped and her eyes flickered down to the ground before looking back up. "Dad..."

She cut herself off and took in a large gulp of air.

"Stacey," her dad said and stood up. "What is it?"

"I..." Her dad walked closer and Stacey stumbled back, clenching her eyes shut. "...Mom's cheating on you!"

Stacey froze and kept her eyes shut so painfully that her head began to hurt. She slowly opened them after a moment to see her dad stood in front of her, body tense but he wasn't looking at her.

His eyes were staring directly at something behind and Stacey twisted her head to see her mom standing by the front door, groceries on the floor and her eyes on her dad.

Stacey was about to move towards her dad when he suddenly shoved her to the side and walked straight over to her mom. Stacey's shoulder hit the wall and she hissed in pain only to hear a hand crack against flesh and she looked up, seeing her mom stumble to the side.

"Bitch," her dad hissed.

"You saw it coming," her mom mumbled back, a glare fitted onto her face and Stacey saw her dad raise his fist.

She quickly looked away and snuck up the stairs, running until she reached her room. She shut the door and pressed her back to it, sliding down to the ground, her eyes wide open and her heart racing.

Who was to blame now?

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram