the

1 | one

Stacey should have realized she didn't have a chance with Axel sooner.

The day before had been euphoric for her.

Not only had Axel broken up with Melissa Kane - who he had been dating for months - but he had finally noticed Stacey. It was in the cafeteria where Stacey was wearing a summer dress that stopped a few inches down her thigh and wedge-heeled boots on.

She felt pretty.

She was sitting with her friends who like herself, were a part of the cheerleading team. Stacey saw him the second he walked into the cafeteria. He looked angry, tired and annoyed all at once. Hands were running down his face and he looked over at the table where his friends sat.

They hadn't noticed Axel yet and after the rough break up, he wasn't sure that he wanted to be around them.

So then he looked around the cafeteria.

And his eyes met Stacey's.

Stacey chest thumped when he began to walk towards her. She felt light - like she was floating. Her mind was reeling and her palms began to get sweaty from nervousness.

Axel stopped in front of her table, still staring at Stacey.

"You want to get out of here?"

That was all he said.

And that was all Stacey needed to hear.

She glanced around at everyone else and slowly nodded, the corner of her lips curving up into a smile. She stood up from her seat, grabbing her bag and walked over to Axel.

She didn't notice Melissa Kane walk into the cafeteria.

She didn't notice her anger.

She didn't notice when Melissa walked over to the table filled with Axel's friends and began to talk.

She only noticed that his hand was wrapped around hers and he pulled them both out of the school and into the parking lot.

Stacey felt completely weightless. There was this excitement in her chest at sneaking out of school with a boy she barely knew. And that excitement was pressing the air out of her.

She sat in the car, a song playing lowly in the background. She saw how agitated Axel was. The way his leg kept jolting up and down rapidly and his finger tapping against the steering wheel repetitively.

Axel was one of the older kids in school so he already had his driver's license though Stacey was pretty sure that he needed someone else in the car with a license to be able to drive.

She didn't dare question it though.

They pulled down her street, going past her house and to the end where he swerved into the driveway. Axel got out of the car quickly, slamming the door shut and Stacey quickly got out too.

His parents weren't home and the both of them found themselves in his room within minutes.

Stacey waited - unsure of what was about to happen or why Axel had even brought her there for that matter.

Walking around his room, her eyes trailed over his book shelf.

She had always loved books.

"What are you waiting for?" she heard Axel ask and turned around to find him pulling his shirt off and raising his eyebrows at her.

"Um..." she began, a little startled. "I...I didn't think-"

"Why else would you be here?" Axel asked and Stacey had to bite back the sharpness that ran through her at the genuine confusion on his face.

He started to undo his belt and Stacey didn't know what to do.

He wanted to have sex.

That was the only reason she was there.

But she couldn't help think that there might be more to this.

That there was a chance, even if it was small, of some kind of affection in Axel's eyes. That he wasn't doing this because he was angry about his breakup. That he wasn't still thinking about Melissa.

Stacey clung onto the thought that he was doing this out of a genuine like towards her.

So she held the bottom of her summer dress and slowly pulled it up.

follow my instagram for more: authortahliepurvis