learn

18 | eighteen

For the first time in months, Stacey sat down for dinner at six o'clock with her mom and dad.

Her dad hadn't been staying late for work and her mom hadn't been running around with another man. For once, they sat there and ate like an actual family.

But Stacey had this horrible feeling that she was about to ruin it.

Her dad sat, eating quietly to himself as her mom made small talk. Stacey was silent and she knew that the two of them had noticed. They had also noticed that her hair was cut roughly but neither of them commented on it.

Stacey took a deep breath and looked at her dad who was sat across the table from her, next to her mom.

"Hey dad?" Stacey asked and he looked up.

Stacey glanced at her mom and saw the look in her eyes. Her mom shook and tried to plead with Stacey through the creases and lines on her face. Stacey gulped and looked back at her dad.

"Um dad," she began. "The...the thing is..."

The guilt was hitting her, hard. Just a few more words and there would be no more guilt. She would be free from this burden pressing down on her shoulders.

"What is it?" her dad frowned and Stacey's lips parted, her eyes flickering to her mom.

"Um...I-I don't really know how to say it," Stacey breathed out. "The thing is..."

Her mom pleaded.

"That...my percentage in math went up." Stacey finished and looked away.

Her dad nodded, a small smile on his face. "That's good. I knew you'd get back in the swing of it."

Stacey gave her dad a small smile and turned to her mom who gave a thankful smile back.

But Stacey just glared at her with so much hatred that her own mother flinched.

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram