aren't

05 | five

Stacey Williams finally realized that she was trying to make Axel Teller jealous.

It had been weeks since she'd taken up the offer one of his friends gave her and there had been many more offers since.

And she accepted as many as she wanted.

She came home late, worried her parents and her grades began to slip.

When she got dressed in the morning, she looked in the mirror and felt slutty. She didn't dress to be pretty anymore. She doubled up on makeup – building the foundation and coating on the mascara.

She bought push-up bras and shirts that showed more than they needed to.

Stacey Williams was not the girl she used to be.

But her love for Axel Teller was still there.

A stupid, single reminder that always hid in the back of her mind. Thump, thump, thump; she would listen to a heart beating each day but it wasn't hers, it was Axel's heart she always looked out for.

She flirted and coaxed her way around men, but every Wednesday and Saturday night she would be at Axel's door and into his arms.

And she knew she was delusional.

Completely and utterly delusional.

But people say that you do crazy things for love - that you will do anything for love.

And Stacey would.

That was how painful it was.

Stacey walked into school, her shorts clutching the skin at the very top of her thighs as she walked up the stairs. She felt a hand slap her butt and she gulped down the bile in her throat and instead smiled at the guy who walked off with a wink.

She got to her locker where Kim and half the cheerleading squad were stood.

"Oh god, Stacey, I'm so sorry!" one of them said, eyes wide with a mock representation of false sympathy.

Stacey knew they didn't give a shit.

"What?" Stacey frowned.

"You haven't heard?" another one snapped her gum and Stacey shook her head. "Axel's hooking up with the nerd."

"What nerd?" Stacey heard herself say over the loud beat of her heart.

"Scarlett," the girl said. "The one in History who answers every damn question right."

Stacey looked away, opening her locker quietly. She glanced over at Kim who gave her a sad smile. Kim understood her. Everyone knew that Stacey was sex buddies with Axel. That they were friends with benefits.

But Kim knew how much Stacey loved him.

'You okay?' Kim mouthed to her.

Stacey shrugged and grabbed her books for first period.

It wasn't the first time Axel had screwed someone other than Stacey.

She shut her locker and sighed, grabbing Kim's arm and pushing past the rest of the girls. They walked down the hallways when they heard a commotion round the corner.

They followed it and saw a few people laughing and cheering two people on.

Stacey watched with a heated glare as Axel wrapped his arm around the nerd, Scarlett's, shoulder and kissed her. Passionately. Lovingly.

Nothing like how he kissed Stacey. Or the other nameless girls that ended up in his arms.

Stacey shook with emotion. She couldn't name them all - there were too many. She stormed forward as they pulled away from each other. They noticed her as she walked near them.

"Bitch," Stacey muttered to Scarlett and shoved her shoulder with her own making the girl fall to the ground and flinch in pain.

"What the hell was that for?" Axel called out, wrapping his arms protectively around Scarlett.

Protectively. Warmly. Kindly. Sweetly.

Stacey sneered at them and continued to walk down the hallway toward the bathroom.

"Get the hell out!" she yelled to the girls in there and they ran out quickly.

Stacey placed her hands on the edge of the skin and breathed, shaking in pure anger.

Softly. Gently. Passionately. Lovingly.

She heard the door open and looked over to see Kim walking in.

"The bastard," Stacey hissed. "I gave my virginity to him. God, I'm so angry! I stayed with him. I could get any damn guy in this school but I stayed with him. And what does he go and do? Every Wednesday and Saturday, I was wasting my time with him!"

Kim stopped beside Stacey and placed a hand on her back.

"I'm just so angry!" Stacey yelled.

There was a silence for a moment – an eerie and unnerving silence before Kim broke it.

"Then why do you look like you want to cry?"

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram