Common Interests

"Oh... It's you." I sulked as I saw Shizuo standing.

"Can I talk to you?" he asked.

"Mikado, go buy me an ice cream." I demanded while shoving a note in his hand. Mikado got the hint and ran off.

I raised an eyebrow at Shizuo, urging him to go on.

"Uhm... I would like to apologize for the uh, injury I gave you. I'm really sorry-" I sighed in exasperation as I rolled my eyes. "Seriously, is that it?" I questioned.

"What do you mean?" he looked genuinely confused. How thick can this guy get?

"Okay, so you swung a lamp post at me and you apologized for it. But, what about the fact you threw a flower pot at me or that fact you are clenching your fists now? How do I know if you going to hurt me again? You can't just go around throwing vending machines."

I knew this was making him angry but once I started, I couldn't stop myself.

"It's people like you, Shizuo Heweijima that I have the most hatred for. Violent, thinking aggression gives you power over all. Ugh, it just makes me mad."

Finally, I screamed the sentence that I'd regret as soon as I said it.

"You're a, a, A MONSTER!"

I was about to turn and walk off but...

"I hate violence." Shizuo simply stated.

It wasn't the words that puzzled me. However, the tone of voice he said with; the amount of sorrow and regret that was poured into those words was unbearable. I just stood there in utter shock.

He started walking towards me.

"I hate violence but I can't seem to stop though. I've had this curse since I was a kid but is it really my fault? People provoke me, I try to ignore but they manage to piss me off. I have tried many times to stop myself but it can't be helped. So I give them what they want. Violence."

A sudden rush of wind blew as the sunset arrived. The rays shone down on his face as he took his glasses off. I looked up to see his warm, brown eyes, gazing intently at my face.

I never really knew how we got this close. I also never realized how... handsome he was. Damn! He is attractive- just rocking the whole rugged look. Oh god, what has gotten into me? I tried to snap out of these thoughts.

He brushed away the loose hair strand from my ponytail and put it behind my ear. I gasped slightly, from the electric shock I got, from his warm hand making contact with my skin.

The atmosphere went silent; the only thing I could hear was my heart thumping loudly; I could've smelled the tension between the two of us. I didn't really want it to end.

Unfortunately, that came to end because somebody ruined the mood.

"Nee-chan! I'm back with the ice- cream," declared Mikado as he came back.

I managed to exhale a breath and looked away from Shizuo.

I shot daggers at the boy holding my double cookie dough with triple choc chips.

In return, he sent me a questioning look. I shot back with a 'don't even bother' look.

By the time I rotated to the spot Shizuo was standing, he was gone. He walked away and it was all my fault.

I let my prejudice get the better of me and I made someone feel shit about themselves because of it. I did it again to him. Twice.

"Damn it." I whispered to myself. The journey back home was quiet with the occasional sloppy sounds of ice-cream being licked.

(Time Skip)

Even at work, my mind was elsewhere.

"Kaya-chan?" Shinra repeatedly said until I came back into reality.

"Huh?" I looked at him.

"The thread and needle for the stitches."

"Oh, sorry." I handed the equipment to Shinra.

"Are you okay? You seem dazed."

"I'm fine. I just think I may have made someone upset."

"You shouted at Shizuo and called him a monster. Then, he told you some soppy stuff and you instantly regretted it. Am I right?

"How did you know?"

"You're not the first person who has called him that. Everyone thinks it. However, he isn't that bad once you get to know him."

"I'm a horrible person, aren't I?"

"I do not blame you calling him that due to his primitive actions but he is used to it. Thus, he carries on yolo-ing."

I snorted. "Seriously? Yolo-ing?"

"Trust me, the amount of times Shizuo has been treated by me for his fatal injuries and surviving is near equivalent to Celty's age."

"Really? That many times?"

"I keep telling him it's going to kill him one day but he just laughs and walks out like he is fine. Pass me the scissors and the bandages."

"Here. Wow, I really fucked up. I'm a bitch."

"Ahem! Bit harsh on yourself."

We both laughed it off, I felt like a huge weight had lifted off. It felt easy to talk to a person like Shinra.

We carried on working on closing up all the patient's wounds and a few hours later, we called it a day.

As soon as I jumped into bed, I thought about the eventful day I had today.

No matter how hard I tried, I kept pondering about Shizuo.

Just, who was he?

I knew that the next time I saw him, I just had to make things right. I had to apologize to him.

He wasn't a monster- just a misunderstood person. Maybe, I was just as bad as him.

I smiled slightly, knowing that maybe we were somewhat the same.