Thorns In Our Path

Did I, Kaya Ryugamine, really hate Shizuo Heiwajima?

I stare at myself in the mirror, wandering if all this hate was jealousy?

"Oh come on Kaya, you can't be falling for him again, especially after breaking your heart like that. Twice. For God's sake, he is him and I am me." I convinced myself, I don't like Shizuo, let alone fall for him, and I smile in satisfaction as I left for work.

Boy, was I wrong.
---------------------------------------------
After work, I was sat in the bench, watching the world pass me by.

"Kaya?"

I looked up and groaned.

Why now? I can never get to relax in peace?

As soon as I got to leave, he grabbed my arm, telling me to wait and listen to to him, to stop me.

I shrugged it off and turned around, looking at expectantly.

"I'm sorry, okay? Those words I said to you yesterday, was totally uncool. You did not deserve those harsh words. I mean, what happened to us? You used to be so easy to talk to but now? It's seems like we can't have a proper conversation without breaking into an argument." He addressed.

"We broke up that's what happened to us. You moved on." I whispered, sighing in defeat.

He looked in surprise at my choice of words.

He started to walk away.

I grabbed his hand.

He turned around to look at me.

"But we can try to be friends? For old times sake?" I asked hopefully.

He broke into a smile and clasped me into a hug.

That shook me.

I stood there, frozen at the fact he was hugging me. I patted his back, uncertain of what was happening.

He finally let go when I realised a bouquet of roses in his hand. My mood darkened when realising they were certainly not for me.

"Nice roses. Very red." I stated as I sat down.

"Red is her favourite colour. You prefer white. And they need de-thorning." He responded as he sat beside me.

I grabbed the bouquet and started to de- thorn them, saying this was too delicate a job for him and should asked the florist to do it.

He simply shrugged and let me be.

He knows too well not to start an argument with you.

My brain was injecting impossible ideas into my mind.

"So I heard you had a great time with Kasuka yesterday?" He asked me.

"I did. Why do you ask? Jealous?" I chuckled.

"No! Just curious about my brother's personal life and how you haven't scared him off."

"Sure you are, your brother loves me too much to hate moi." I smiled smugly at him.

"WHAT!? That bas-"

"Whoa, not in that way you fool!"

"Oh, my emotions got the better of me." He mumbled.

I simply snorted. "You wouldn't mind if me and Kasuka started dating?" I asked him, expecting a reaction from him.

"Yes I would mind! You can't." He dismissed.

"Why?!" I said that out loudly.

"Because... He's younger than you and... He has no emotions and.... Just because." He struggled to give me legitimate reasons.

"Really? That's the best you got? It's only a small age gap besides, guys prefer older girls nowadays and I just happen to love the mysterious side of him." I answered back, daring him to give me another reason.

"He has a girlfriend!?" He cried out, giving me a Are- You- Crazy?! look on his face.

"Ever heard of cheating?" I retorted, picking the thorns out the stems of the roses and flicking them at him.

"Wait?" He caught one between his thumb and index finger.

"Is this so you can fulfil your infatuation of seeing Hijiribe Ruri?" He taunted.

"Pfft... Noooo? I don't have an obsession with her. Mikado does- he totally does." I lamely said, avoiding eye contact.

"So it has nothing to do with tickets he got you to her concert?" He teased.

"I got them for Mikado. I am no obsessive fan girl." I muttered.

"Oh wow, you total creep." He teased even further, laughing his head off.

"STOP! It's not funny, I may like her music but that is it! Ugh, I'm done with you. I was joking when I said I was going to date your brother." I commented, furiously picking those thorns.

Then, a real thorn came out of nowhere and pierced our conversation. He hugged and spun her around.

An ugly feeling resided over me, changing my mood into the polar opposite of what was I feeling.

"Yuuki, what are doing here?" He asked her.

"I picked up an important package and just happened to pass you guys. Hi Kaya!" She waved at me.

I smiled sarcastically at her, but she didn't take the hint.

My gaze locked into her bag which was leaking a black liquid into the ground. I started growing suspicious.

Black liquid looks slightly familiar...

"Shizuo, Shizuo." I whispered but he was too busy with her.

I felt slightly offended with his reaction.

Great now I'm completely invisible to him because he can't be bother for a second about my concern since he is so busy with his-

"BITCH!" I cried out in pain.

To my luck, my hand slips and a long thorn pushes itself into my finger.

Shizuo takes notice, amazingly, and tells "Yuuki" to wait as he strolls over, to chastise me most likely but to my surprise, he takes my finger and gently, removes the thorn.

"You okay?"  Those words caused my heart to beat, furiously.

I stare blankly at him as he brings the finger to his lips and sucks on it lightly, if I didn't hate him right now, then I would of passed out from sheer joy.

He lets go of my hand and smile in satisfaction at the fact my finger stopped bleeding, "There, all better."

Jesus take the wheel 'cuz I have died and gone straight to heaven.