Chapter 134: Building a Foundation

Start from the beginning

ROOAR!!!

Animals and birds fled for miles as the basilisk's pained cries shook the forest. Blood poured out of the mess that was once its left eye. The arrow, which was designed to shatter on impact, sent shrapnel exploding outwards, utterly shredding the eyes to pieces and ensuring they would not regenerate or heal in the short term—if not forever.

"Move!" The archer yelled as she dashed out of cover, the next arrow already notched. She let loose, a cold glint in her eyes as the basilisk cries affirmed she had hit the target. Within five short seconds, over twelve arrows stabbed into the basilisk's side, drawing green blood.

The basilisk, unwilling to take any more punishment, roared with rage as it charged toward the silhouette running in the distance. Unbefitting of its enormous size, the beast's eight stocky legs carried it across the ground with speeds that would make horses bow their heads in shame.

However, it seemed the fleeing archer possessed equally astonishing speed. At the very least, she was fast enough that the distance between runner and pursuer shrunk by very little over a long distance. The archer turned into a thicker forest path, evidently hoping to use the thicker tree trunks to slow down her pursuer.

However, the basilisk was nothing if not resilient. It smashed through the trees with relative ease, its speed not dropping in the slightest. It soon began to growl with increased rage as the archer used the trees as deflection posts to make her arrows' flight paths next to impossible to predict.

And so, the basilisk soon found itself the cushion to the archers' pins, her arrows indiscriminately finding a home somewhere in its body without fail. Luckily, because of its tough exterior, the damage was not too fatal. Still, blood flow trickles from so many injuries would eventually sum up to a massive loss of blood.

The basilisk's rage intensified when a random beastman of the tigur race jumped onto its path with a tiny buckler in hand. The tigur, standing at only five feet five (165cm), nevertheless cast an imposing figure as it took a bulky stance, shield placed ahead of it. Thick, snow-white mane billowed in the morning breeze as purple eyes regarded the onrushing behemoth.

"[Tower!]" The tigur growled, and its muscles suddenly doubled in mass, a golden sheen upon his skin from the excess mana used for the strengthening process. Eyes tightly shut, the tigur stomped its right foot into the earth behind him, crouched low, and braced himself for impact.

The basilisk, long since enraged to the point it would not pay attention to such small fry, charged headfirst into the waiting beastman. However, mere meters from the tigur, five silver screens composed of petals made from condensed light abruptly sprung up its path.

The basilisk's momentum, too high to come to a forced halt, sent it crashing through one wall after another. The basilisk burst through the petal walls with relative ease, its momentum only reduced by a minimal, almost negligible amount.

For the waiting tigur, however, it was more than enough.

BANG!!!

Dust, earth, and leaves scattered, blown away by the basilisk's impact against the tigur's shield. The tigur winced, brows furrowed as its feet dragged across the earth, forced back by the basilisk's terrifying momentum. Hup! The tigur forcefully swallowed a mouthful of air, chest rising as it raised its back foot and stomped hard against the earth.

Boom!

With a loud crash, the basilisk's charge came to an abrupt halt. Tremors from the collision rippled through its insides, leaving it disoriented for a spell. The tigur took the opportunity and bashed his shield against the basilisk's head several times within two seconds.