Chapter 29: Simon

"Mom? Dad? Jill?" I called, walking into the living room.

"Hm?" They hummed in unison.

"I'm gay." My heart was on the verge of jumping out of my chest as I awaited their reaction.

Jill was the first one to react. She smiled and got up to hug me. My mom next.

"I support you." Jill said.

My mom agreed. "Me too." She rubbed my back and kissed my forehead.

We awaited my dad's reaction.

He stood up and patted my head, smiling and nodding.

A wave of relief washed over me.

•••

I liked him. A lot. And it was so overwhelming. So overwhelming that, I fucked with him to distract myself from how I felt about him. And I know it was shitty. But I'll admit, seeing him trip over his words and blush every time he looked at me was a pretty sight. But I wouldn't tell him. I couldn't tell him. It was embarrassing. I knew he felt the same way but..

I sighed.

It had been two weeks since I had that dream of him singing to me. It was so magical. I wished it was real..

He gave me butterflies. Made my heart feel like it woukd explode, just from thinking about him.

I felt like listening to music. I picked up my phone from my nightstand and went to Spotify, and tapped on my only playlist. The songs that Jasper had recommended me. I named the playlist after him, typing a heart after his name. See? I got butterflies just from doing that.

"I'm findin' ways to articulate"

"The feeling I'm goin' through"

"I just can't say I don't love you"

'"Cause I love you, yeah"

"It's hard for me to communicate the thoughts that I hold"

"But tonight I'm gon' let you know"

"Let me tell the truth"

"Baby, let me tell the truth, yeah"

"You know what I'm thinkin'"

"See it in your eyes"

"You hate that you want me"

"Hate it when you cry"

"You're scared to be lonely"

'"Specially in the night"

"I'm scared that I'll miss you"

"Happens every time"

"I don't want this feelin'"

"I can't afford love"

"I try to find reason to pull us apart"

"It ain't workin' 'cause you're perfect"

"And I know that you're worth it"

"I can't walk away, oh!"

Every song I listened to reminded me of him. I touched my chest feeling the beat of my heart. I ran my hands through my hair. Taking deep breaths.

And suddenly, he texted me.

Jasper:

Meet me the playground by
the school. I wanna talk
to you. Please.
4:01 PM

"Oh god." I sighed.

•••

I felt the prickles of the cold weather attack my face as I walked to playground. I breathed out, a small cloud forming in front of my face in the chilly air. I adjusted my hat, and shivered in my coat. I took a left and there I was, the playground. I saw Jasper sitting on a swing with rusted chains. No one else was there but us. He had on an orange coat. He looked nervous, but it was almost as if he was trying to hide it. There was an empty one next to him. A rose color appeared on his cheeks.

"Come sit!" He yelled, adjusting his glasses.

The wood shavings grinded against each other as I walked across the playground. I sat on the swing. It creaked as I sat down. I frowned at the noise and looked at him.

"So?" I asked.

"I know how you feel about me. I figured it out."

I froze.