Chapter 3: Simon

Students ran for the dodgeballs as coach blew the whistle. I managed to grab one and throw it at a kid with green hair. It hit his shoulder. He frowned.

"Sam! You're out!" The coach said. The kid walked to the back of the gym and leaned on the wall.

I snorted and kept throwing balls. I saw one flying towards me and quickly caught it, throwing it back at the person who had launched it at me. It hit a girl with braces. She huffed and walked to the back of the gym.

I looked to my right and saw Jasper struggling to keep his head in the game. I rolled my eyes. I saw one flying towards him.

"Look out!" I yelled, catching the ball before it could hit him.

"Give it to me!" Felix yelled. I threw it to him. He quickly caught it and launched it at someone on the opposite team.

"Not very athletic, are you?" I sighed.

"Oh, can it." He replied. I sensed a little irritation in his voice. "You're such a try hard. Not to mention a showoff."

"At least I can keep my head in the game."

"Why can't you just go one day without thinking you're better than everyone?" His voice was a little louder.

"I don't think I'm better than everyone. Just you." I sassily said, running my hands through my hair.

"Guys, it's just a game." Felix sighed, a little tiredness in his voice. He ran his hands through his silky dark-brown hair. The freckles on his face stood out. His green eyes looked weary.

I huffed and continued trying to get other people out.

As I ran forward I tripped over my feet. I heard my shoes scuff against the brown, waxy gym floor. I felt a pair of hands wrap around me, touching my midsection.

I looked up, to see Jasper's face foot away from mine. A mischievous smile spread across his face. His wavy, auburn-red hair hung over his forehead. He was little taller than me. I was 5'8, while he looked about 5'10. Maybe 5'11.

He caught me?

"Keep your head in the game, Simon." He teased.

"I-I uh, um.. ugh! Get off of me!" I said, standing up straight and crossing my arms.

He chuckled, adjusting his thin, black, circular glasses and going back to throwing balls at the enemy team. He hit Quinn.

"Sorry, Quinn!" He yelled, waving his arms and laughing.

"It's cool!" They said, strolling to the back of the gym, putting their hands in their pockets.

The coach blew his whistle again.

"Round two!"

•••

About 3 rounds later, our team had won. I felt exhausted.

"That was a hell of a game." Jasper sighed.

Felix agreed. "Yeah, it was." He put his backpack on his bag.

I looked at Jasper, feeling an emotion that surprisingly wasn't hate or annoyance. It was weird.

The bell rang. Students ran out of the gym to their last classes of the day.