Chapter 23: Simon

I watched as they came back into the cafeteria. Jasper sat down awkwardly. Was he nervous? We made eye contact. But the weird thing was, it seemed like both of us couldn't stop looking at each other. I took a moment to admire his face. His thin, black circular glasses fit perfectly on his face. I looked back into those big, blue eyes that had way more power over me than anyone had a right to. His lush, red hair, it looked so nice. And those lips. They looked soft-

Why am I describing him like this? It's weird.

"Simon, are you okay?" Carrie asked me, raising her eyebrow.

After she asked that, I was finally able to tear my eyes away from Jasper.

"Y-yeah. I'm fine. Are you okay, Jasper?" I asked, shifting the attention onto him.

"I'm.. good." He said, after staring at me for a second.

I nodded, going back to eating my food. Felix looked at Carrie, then Jasper, then Chance, then Quinn, then finally, me. He and Quinn made eye contact again, then shrugged. I could see a small smile on Quinn's face.

•••

Students stood in the gym, talking to each other. The coach stood at the front of the gym.

"Alright guys! We're doing dodgeball again. Line up so I can pick your teams." He blew the whistle and we lined up. He picked the teams.

Quinn, Jasper, Chance, Felix and I were all on the same team. Carrie wasn't in this class. Felix had complained about it earlier, saying how he wished he had this class with her. It was cute. He really liked her.

Being on the same team as your friends was nice, but at the same time, I dreaded being on the same team as him. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Today, it was like every time I was around him, I felt like my heart was about to jump out of my chest. And Jasper was acting different at lunch today. He kept staring at me. I mean, I was staring too, but still.

The coach blew the whistle again.

"On three!" He yelled.

"One.."

"Two.."

"Three!"

Students on both sides rushed for the red, rubber balls that were lined up in the middle of the gym. I grabbed one and hit a student on the opposite team.

"You're out!" The coach yelled. The student sighed and walked to the back of the gym. He leaned against the grey, brick walls and watched the game. I caught another ball that almost flew right past me and launched it across the gym.

"Nice catch." Chance breathed.

"Thanks." I replied. I noticed Jasper staring at me again. He looked at me with such an expression of.. adoration? And it gave such a weird feeling. I mistook that feeling for irritation, and I said something I regretted.

"Ugh, why do you keep looking at me like that?" I asked in irritation. As soon as I spoke those words, I regretted them. Jasper's face darkened. But he was blushing. He turned away and focused on the game. Wait a second..

Did he still feel that way about me?

I rejected him! And after two months?

He still.. no. He couldn't- or could he?

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

He took off his glasses to clean them. God, I couldn't handle how attractive he was.