Chapter 2: Jasper

I gathered my stuff as the bell rang for 5th period. P.E. I saw Simon rush out of the room with the other students, Chance following. I sighed. I felt tired and sad. It had been about two months since my mom had moved out of the house. Her and my dad got a divorce. I admit, it was about time. I would always hear them bickering, and it would be about anything and everything. What a toxic relationship.

She loved me, but I guess not enough to at least stay in the same state. She was in South Carolina now. It was just my brother, dad, and I. We were still healing. I ran my hands through my hair. It felt a little greasy.

I put my bag on my back an strolled out of the classroom, into the hallway.

I don't even know why I still bicker with him. It's pointless. None of it matters. I don't wanna do it anymore. I don't wanna hate him. I don't wanna hate anyone. But he makes it hard. I guess I make it hard too.

I passed by hoards of students, going downstairs into the building and making a left. A few more turns and I was at the school gym. I walked through the blue and silver metal double-doors. The smell of floor cleaner filled my nostrils as I blinked. I saw Quinn and Felix. And.. Simon and Chance standing right next to them? Quinn noticed me and waved me over. I walked over to them, feeling confused.

"Jasper, nice of you to join us." Chance said.

I was friends with Felix, Chance and Quinn. It was just Simon who I despised.

I raised an eyebrow. "What is this about?" I pointed at Simon as I said that. Quinn rolled their eyes and smoothed out their short black hair before they spoke. They adjusted their thick, black glasses.

"We've all come to an agreement, we've decided you and Simon.. are going to become friends." They clasped their hands together as they said the word 'friends.' Chance and Felix nodded in agreement. Simon spoke up.

"Woah, you said you wanted me to meet someone." He said, looking just as confused as I was.

"I lied." Quinn replied, smirking.

"Yeah, this isn't gonna work." I said. My thoughts raced.

But you said you were tired of arguing.

Well it's not like he'd agree to it. What if I just, ignored him instead?

The coach blew his metal whistle that was hanging around his neck.

"Alright guys! We're gonna play dodgeball tonight. Line up, and I'll select your teams."

We lined up, and he selected the teams. Felix, Simon and I on one team, Chance and Quinn on the the other. There were couple more kids on our teams. The burgundy, rubber balls were lined up in the middle of the gym.

Felix stood next to me and Simon stood next to him.

The coach blew the whistle again.

"Alright. One.."

I crouched.

"Two.."

"Three!"